Water quality

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My pond is a mature 4m dia x 50cm deep pond with a black pond liner in an old concrete pond. It has been fine for 17 years with ordinary goldfish and lots of plants and wild life. It has a biggish pump and up to last year a working filter. Last year I broke the catch on the filter and could not get it to work without leaking and nearly emptying the pond do I disconnected the filter and didnt turn on the pump at all. Now Ive directed the hose back into the pond so it just recycles the water without it going through a filter. However something is wrong. Although the recycled water is clear it is making a froth of foam on the surface of the pond.
Is this because the pump is too strong?
Or is it because I put some of that liquid natural bacteria into the pond?
Or is it pigeon poo dropping into the pond from a large overhanging tree.( This hasnt been an issue b4 when the filter was working)
I lost my husband who used to look after the pond so now I have to do it myself and I know nothing about pumps and filters.
The pond has lots of aeriating pond weeds and marginals.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1642183649019.gif
@Artist

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
My pond is a mature 4m dia x 50cm deep pond with a black pond liner in an old concrete pond. It has been fine for 17 years with ordinary goldfish and lots of plants and wild life. It has a biggish pump and up to last year a working filter. Last year I broke the catch on the filter and could not get it to work without leaking and nearly emptying the pond do I disconnected the filter and didnt turn on the pump at all. Now Ive directed the hose back into the pond so it just recycles the water without it going through a filter. However something is wrong. Although the recycled water is clear it is making a froth of foam on the surface of the pond.
Is this because the pump is too strong?
Or is it because I put some of that liquid natural bacteria into the pond?
Or is it pigeon poo dropping into the pond from a large overhanging tree.( This hasnt been an issue b4 when the filter was working)
I lost my husband who used to look after the pond so now I have to do it myself and I know nothing about pumps and filters.
The pond has lots of aeriating pond weeds and marginals.
Hi and welcome to our little group of garden pond fanatics! ( GPF ). So sorry about your loss but hopefully you can come to this forum for good advice and new friends :)

Ask a Question