Water rebate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello everyone, this morning i had a phone conversation with my water company (yorkshire water in the uk) and explained i had a pond and did weekly 20 % water changes and the water discharged was into my garden not the sewers/drains and they informed me i was entitled to a rebate on the water discharged into my garden, roughly 20% off my annual bill happy days. i was wondering if this mark was the same for you guys in the usa or anywhere else ?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Not sure why you are doing weekly, 20% water changes — but the concept of being rewarded for being an eco-conscious human sounds great! We don’t have a program like that, here in Louisiana, USA, but I could see where this could happen in more drought-stricken areas (the places where water use is rationed and strictly regulated). It will be interesting to see how our members in some of these USA regions handle this.

My only question (and it’s based on a history of allegations of fraud and misconduct in my own city), is how is this water being monitored and how does the homeowner “prove” that the water is actually being repurposed? It’s sad that I would even think along these lines. Now, some of our insurance companies give homeowner rebates for using “green” technologies in their homes and autos, but that’s not the same as a city government with a public utility.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We do have a program where you can get credit for an initial pond or pool fill up - we did - but that's a one time thing. They deduct the number of gallons from your bill. You can also get a credit if you can prove you put in new sod or grass seed and need to water frequently the first year. And we have the option of putting a separate meter on our outside water (at our own cost) and then we wouldn't get billed for the sewage portion, just the water itself. (Our water bill is broken down into water and sewer - it's about 1/3 of the cost for water, 2/3 for sewer.) I've always wondered why, since that water has already been treated whether we use it inside or out. It's not like we're re-using water. Granted, it's not being sent back through the system to be treated, but the whole thing has never made much sense to me. Maybe I should think of it as the LAST person who used it sent it back to the sewage plant and paid for that portion.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
We do have a program where you can get credit for an initial pond or pool fill up - we did - but that's a one time thing. They deduct the number of gallons from your bill. You can also get a credit if you can prove you put in new sod or grass seed and need to water frequently the first year. And we have the option of putting a separate meter on our outside water (at our own cost) and then we wouldn't get billed for the sewage portion, just the water itself. (Our water bill is broken down into water and sewer - it's about 1/3 of the cost for water, 2/3 for sewer.) I've always wondered why, since that water has already been treated whether we use it inside or out. It's not like we're re-using water. Granted, it's not being sent back through the system to be treated, but the whole thing has never made much sense to me. Maybe I should think of it as the LAST person who used it sent it back to the sewage plant and paid for that portion.
We're kind of like this except I get separate bills for my water and sewer. I can just claim I use a lot for grass or the pond and get a credit on the sewer bill. I believe they compare to the winter months to estimate my outdoor usage.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They have no such thoughts in CT. They know everyone would lie through their teeth

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have a well and a septic tank so no bills on that since I own both .The only bill I get is for the electric that my well pump uses .My whole house is electric since no other services out here and my electric bill is usually around 150 dollars a month and 38 dollars of that is stupid taxes .When I first moved here my electric bill was every 2 months and used to be less than 50 dollars and only 9 dollars a month taxes .Then they decided to change it to every 2 month bill .But they said that the new solar plant out here will get started up sometime this summer and rates will go down .We will see .But I think that is still pretty good compared to other people in my neighborhood that have even higher electric bills .Not sure why but guess it is because they have children ,but they also have a lot smaller homes .My house is the biggest in the neighborhood .My electric always goes up in the winter because of stupid heat pump

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a/7b depending on the map
Country
United States
I too am total electric, with my own water source. The power company gives a discount for being total electric.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I love well water! Except when the power goes out. We use propane for heat, heating water, stove. So no rebates for us!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I will start getting a discount this year on power as my husband turns 69 and will also get a discount on taxes .Waiting to see if they change it again .I moved here it was 62 and then the raised it to 65 and now 69 .Waiting to see if they raise the age again .I think it is a con game the electric company is playing on us switch and bait you know .I have been looking into solar for seniors company ,you rent the equipment they maintain it and you pay a flat rate of 150 a month and utility comp[any pays you back for unused electric .They gave me info and it would be around 190 u that I would get back from my electric company .I don't get the headache of maintaining the panels .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a/7b depending on the map
Country
United States
It would take about 20kw worth of panels to run my house at the bare minimum. That would cover a sizeable chunk of real estate.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I love well water! Except when the power goes out. We use propane for heat, heating water, stove. So no rebates for us!
Rebate in CT is when you vote knowing your vote means nothing . YOUR DISCOUNTED..... We are screwed

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
how true agree 100% and would AGREE 10 million % WE ARE SCREWED WE ONLY MEAN A PAYCHECK FOR THE GOVERNMENT ELITE
Rebate in CT is when you vote knowing your vote means nothing . YOUR DISCOUNTED..... We are screwed

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Well at least on a good note we were supposed to get snow and got none so far

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We have solar, most years get a decent rebate from the electric co. We do nothing for the panels, the company takes care of them. Free install.
Well and septic which is great. My house is AZ was city the water bill was insane. We got rid of all the grass asap, one bill was 350 bucks to try and keep the grass green.

Hubby put in a ventless propane stove that is our heat.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I was thinking of doing that addy propane ventless but seems propane down here is expensive and I guess that is because a lot of people use it .Plus the guy told us we would need two of them

Ask a Question