Water refil process

Reaction score
I am trying to build a balanced pond without chemicals and love that I don't have to use dechlorinator just have patience. So I have been thinking about water for refills. And also like a holding tank for excess plants kind of thing and how I could incorperate those into the same system. And I came up with this. I had a few extra trash bins I was using last year to recycle old cans and plastic. I washed them out very well and filled with water. Now here is my idea. the first tub is water that will hold extra plants (to be traded or sold) and refill water that has been sitting for a minimum of 3 days. When the water is needed I placed it close enough (but out of sight) to simply siphon the water gently into my pond (gently so I don't mix up the water too bad and get every thing all cloudy). The second bin has fresh tap that is sitting to refill the dechlorinated tub. Any kinks in my plan that I'm not seeing? I was also thinking of adding a 3ed tub with an air stone as a holding tank for potential new fish. Any ideas? Is there a system like this or am I crazy for going to that extent?

Reaction score
this idea is good...but WAY more complicated than it needs to be

1st bin could be used for water that is used to top off the pond
i would use a shallower bin for plants...no need to have a tall one and use that water to top off the pond...this could work against you...dead parts of the plant will add nitrates...and if you use this water...your basically adding nitrates to your pond...
i would also use a wider bin for quarintine of your fish to be added to your pond

Reaction score
So I could totally get rid of the second can and replace it with like a storage bin. And when and or if I decide to get more fish I can always find a tank for a holding tank... well ... I know I should have a medical tank just incase so maybe all I need is a plant tub and a medical tank right now. What do you use for a medical tank?

Reaction score
newbieincalifornia said:
So I could totally get rid of the second can and replace it with like a storage bin. And when and or if I decide to get more fish I can always find a tank for a holding tank... well ... I know I should have a medical tank just incase so maybe all I need is a plant tub and a medical tank right now. What do you use for a medical tank?

you could actually use the holding tank as a medical tank...just make sure a filter is part of that system...you could culture the nitrifying bacteria in your current pond

Ask a Question