water scale inhibitor

Reaction score
I want to install a water scale inhibitor on my mains supply, just wanted to ask if I did whether the water would still be ok for my goldfish pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome! You'll have to help me out - what is a water scale inhibitor? Here we use a water softener that adds salt to the water - is that what you mean? Because that you would not want to drink or use in the pond... or anywhere in the garden for that matter.

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
In my area with liquid rock hard water, the outdoor faucets are not run through the softener-no point in burning up salt for water that does not need it and does no good outside. I did hear of one guy that did run soft water to the faucet that he used to wash his car.

Reaction score
Welcome! You'll have to help me out - what is a water scale inhibitor? Here we use a water softener that adds salt to the water - is that what you mean? Because that you would not want to drink or use in the pond... or anywhere in the garden for that matter.
Hi In England we can get hard water in different areas of the country, it is possible for us to buy an inhibitor that breaks down the limescale in the water, but I don't know how this would affect the constitution of the water. It is not a water softener which I know is done by salt

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
I would not recommend a scale inhibitor for pond water. Scale inhibitors use a chemical to stop scale from building up in pipes. That chemical is basically phosphate and phosphate is something you need to keep out of your pond, it is a fertilizer.
Here is a description of one inhibitor product sold by homedepot.
The Aqua-Pure AP430SS Scale Inhibition System helps extend the life of appliances that use hot water (e.g., water heaters - standard and tankless and washing and dishwashing machines), as well as plumbing fixtures (e.g., faucets, pipes and shower heads). Offers a controlled dosage of polyphosphates for maximum system performance and cartridge life (avg. cartridge life is 4-6 months).
I have no experience with this type of product but I am sure it would keep your pond in green water forever.

Ask a Question