Water Temperature difference

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Agree with above comment, 5 degree changes are a good limit to have.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a/b
Country
United States
I would suggest no more than 5 degrees.
i plan on filling my pond this weekend . i know the water out of the tap will not be within 5 degrrees of the temporary pool . Is there anything I can do besides wait for the pond water temperature to increase,

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a/b
Country
United States
Use a heater? or defroster to raise the temp
not sure the cost to heat approx 3000 gallons would be worth it. What I noticed is the 250 gal pool thats temporarily housing the fish , frogs etc flucuates with the air temperature. just this month it has varied from 58 -86 degrees. .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
What about using water from your temporary holding pool? (I have no clue what the size of your pond/temp pool are... just thinking out loud!)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I don't know what your plumbing situation is like, but if you could set up a circulating loop between your temporary pond and your big pond, the water will be equalized in all aspects eventually.
Transferring fish will be much less stressful that way.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a/b
Country
United States
I don't know what your plumbing situation is like, but if you could set up a circulating loop between your temporary pond and your big pond, the water will be equalized in all aspects eventually.
Transferring fish will be much less stressful that way.
thanks, I may be able to connect a temp line that i have running into the pond and send it to the temporary pond. then use the pump running the temporary pond to return water to the pond.. The challange will be to match the flow ..

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
thanks, I may be able to connect a temp line that i have running into the pond and send it to the temporary pond. then use the pump running the temporary pond to return water to the pond.. The challange will be to match the flow ..

Right. Use the smallest pump you have available and expect to fiddle with the flow for a number of hours.
-but Think it would be the best acclimation procedure for your fish.

I've used a pair of vice grips on a hose to act as a temporary flow control valve.

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
are you suggesting in a small containter that i could float in the pond?
You could use a five gallon bucket half filled with (your temp) water; or a bag as done in local stores.

Ask a Question