Water temperature for goldfish pond

Reaction score
Country
United States
Odd question/comment coming from MN but as I’m missing my free flowing summer pond I was curious about water temps and goldfish. I started my pond last spring - 8.5’ diameter and 32” deep at deepest point. Has waterfall and perimeter shelf for plants. Received full sun from late morning till early evening spring thru fall. Water temps would routinely reach into the mid 80s during summer. Goldfish seemed to do fine and thrived all year. I’ve read about these water temps being too high for goldfish but mine didn’t seem bothered. I did have 2 nice lilies which were large enough by mid summer to provide a lot of shade in addition to those floating plants that grow like weeds (forgot name). Do any of you pros out there see any issues resulting from summer water temps in the mid 80s if there is shade and plenty of area for these goldfish to swim around? Didn’t seem to bother them last year

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Here in Louisiana, there have been summers where my water was very close to the 90’s! Scared me to death, but I increased aeration and made sure I had plenty of plant cover. My fish did fine.

Reaction score
I live in the bay area of California and have goldfish that I bought several years ago. Summers get very hot, and winters pretty cold (30s), and they seem to do fine. I leave them alone, don't feed them anything, and they just keep growing. I have lots of underwater plants in there, as well as waterlilies.

Ask a Question