Water Temperature

What is the highest temperature your pond has ever been?

• Total voters
Reaction score
Again, thanks to the helpful folks here.

I'm wondering about the best range of water temperature. As some of you know, we've had quite a heat wave here in the mid-atlantic area. I finally thought about the water and it was up to 84 degrees f. I put a trickle of (well) water in to bring it down slowly to 78 degrees.

What would be the advisable high temperature for my pond?
Bob

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
My water is above 95 on top but the temp down at the the bottom is around 87 .I don't like to add water to cool it down as it will cause water quality problems .I use large barrels of water to do my water changes and let the water warm up that comes from my well and I just throw a pump in the tank and pump it into the pond .Less stress on the fish .I have koi and they seem sensitive to any big changes like that .I can tell by the way they act .As long as you don't smell fish cooking they are fine:lol::rolleyes:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Fish gumbo sissy! we hit 90 so far, now down to 86

Reaction score
Wow. 95. I worried about temp shock so I just trickled water in for about two hours to bring it down about 7 degrees... The koi seemed to be OK with it - they acted fairly normal during and after. That is a good idea, getting the water up to temp in barrels.
Thanks, Sissy.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I use one of those charcoal filters they sell also on the end of my hose .The sell them for wells and I had the one from my well that my son took off so he could put in a new self cleaning filter system.It just screws on the end of the hose and the I add a short hose to the end of it to go into the barrel .I let the water go through the filter at a slow rate and this way it is double cleaned and then I take it off and put it back on my hose that goes from my pump to my filter .I should by another there only 25 dollars .

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
sissy said:
nope already 92 here here and supposed to get up to 96 .

Water temperature silly is 86 well now 87, so far air temp is 86 heat index heading towards 100

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
the heat index and humidity are what gets you .my water temp this morning is over 97 now and I have shade cloth over the pond .If the sun was shining straight down on it it would be higher .I wish it would cool down soon .The rain we had cooled it down for awhile but not for long

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Doesn't ever get too hot here.......once in a blue moon we hit 100 for maybe one day out of the year. Water temps usually stay in the 60's or 70's in summer but might jump to 75 - 80 for a short time. addy did you change sissy's name to silly sissy cuz I was trying to figure out why you were calling your water temps silly and just figured out you were talking about sissy :confused:

Reaction score
OK, so that's funny. I got scared when it got to 85. Our pond is shaded most of the day so It probably won't get up to 90 but I don't think it is a lot cooler at the 38 inch bottom. Interesting stuff.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I've only seen my pond get over 93 once or twice, But right now the average temp. runs in the high 80's to 90 degrees, just make sure you keep plenty of oxygen and water movement and I do not recommend trying to cool it off by large water changes, every year I hear someone that wipes out a pond either by shock, or by forgetting the water running and killing the pond from a overdose of chlorine.

Neo

Nick
Reaction score
I've been wondering about this also since It's been over 100 everyday since mid-June here in Oklahoma. I had a shader made but after upgrading the pond it doesn't fit anymore so for now I just let the plants go wild to cover as much as possible.

I wish it would cool off outside soon so We can enjoy the pond in the daylight again but according to the forecast there is no end in sight. Usually I sneak out at night while the little one is asleep.

Reaction score
Our climate in SW WA is pretty much the same as j.w.'s. Plus we have our pond covered with a structure, and shadecloth draped over that. I want to keep our pond no higher than high 50's, low 60's. Easier to keep control of algae, parasites, etc. IMO

Ask a Question