Water test..... A follow-up

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
A follow-up to this thread I posted earlier.....mechanical filtration issue.

https://www.gardenpondforum.com/thr...ration-will-this-idea-work.19893/#post-315266

I decided to try a simple test for color and clarity, and to see much particulate was actually in my water. I took 3 identical jars and taped a piece of white paper to the back of each one. Jar #1 contained water dipped directly from the pond. Jar #2 contained water from the Skippy outflow [going into the pond]. Jar #3 contained water from the turtle-bog outflow. Each jar contained 2 cups of water.

At the start of the test, each sample appeared identical, with no obvious discoloration and no obvious particulate material.

I left them alone for several hours. There was no change. They were all still sparkling clear and clean with no settled sediment. I do think that the water from the turtle-bog [#3] looked a teeny-tad brighter.

I was going to check them again, next morning, but it rained -- I left them outside.

I think I'll try this again in a few weeks. I had just done a complete backwash and cleaning of the Skippy days before, and I would like to compare NOW with what the water is like when Skippy hasn't been cleaned.

BTW, I routinely "bleed" dirty water off the Skippy, but only do the big backwash a few times a year. You would not believe the gunk that comes out with the backwash! That's the stuff that doesn't settle to the bottom of the tank, but that stays stuck to the bio-media. It's just amazing that the bio-media is able to work as well as it does. Which is why I want to separate the bio from the mechanical.

Ask a Question