water testing kit recommendations?

Reaction score
just 2 months under my belt as a pond owner and I am getting ready for fall/winter in southeastern PA. i know salt is important for the fish, and i have some that i bought, but how on earth do i test for salinity? the only testing kit i can find for salt is a digital one that is $60+!

along the same topic - what do you folks recommend for a worthwhile testing kit to have on hand for routine monitoring of water quality? we just bought a home with a big pond and it is a little overwhelming, but i have found this forum and the kind people on it very helpful.

Reaction score
Google "test pool salinity". A lot of swimming pools use salt to produce chlorine. $5 - $10.

KH test.If you search "pond ph buffering" you can find out why if you understand KH and buffering you don't have to test pH.

Ammonia test. Fish pee produces ammonia and is harmful. Bacteria convert the ammonia into other stuff making it safe. Ammonia should always be zero or very close in a stable pond. I'd bet serious cash your pond has zero ammonia because the fish are alive. But if some "expert" tells you to buy or make more filters the ammonia level will tell whether they're right or full of it. With zero ammonia level you could add 100 filters and the ammonia would still be zero.

Other tests. Endless. You have to choose for yourself how deep you want to go. There are countless ponds out there who's owner have never done any test or adjusted anything. Some of them do get into trouble, just like some people who test get into trouble. Another test option is to take a water sample to a local pet store. I don't like that much because it's easy to contaminate the sample and then you generally have a high school kid doing the test for the first time.

General advice
If you want to make keeping the pond a lot less overwhelming you could slow down a bit. Everyone you ask will have a different opinion and all will be experts. But there is far more misinformation in keeping a pond than good information. Couple that with misunderstandings and you can really get into the soup. This pond you have has probably been running for a long time...there's very little you actually have to do.

For example, (I assume you have goldfish/koi) whoever told you adding salt is important to fish either didn't know what they were talking about or there was a miscommunication. There are people who do believe adding salt is helpful, but it isn't required. There are lots of people who think it isn't a good idea. Higher salt levels cause the fish to produce more mucus which makes it harder for parasites and bacteria to attack. The thinking is more is better. But extra mucus production uses energy the fish might need to fuel other needed functions. Lots of ponds run fine without adding salt.

You're new to ponds, if you make a mistake computing the amount of salt you could kill your fish in short order. Wouldn't it be better to wait awhile, learn the basics first before deciding whether or not you want to add salt? The fish have been fine so far right?

When deciding to do something to your pond I suggest making sure you have at least several points of view. And everything has pros and cons. That way you'll have enough info to make an informed choice that fits you goals, not someone else's. And by several points of view make sure a few of those are outside of online forums. Forums tend to only have one point of view, but you'll hear it a hundred times which might lead you to think it's good advice. Bad advice repeated 100 times doesn't make it right. There are a lot of web sites out there that cite studies, give lots of details and facts you can cross check. Forums are very informal and social. You get more "I did this and it worked, so you should too". That can get you into trouble.

Last home I sold with a pond I explained to the new owners how to keep the pond. They hired an expert. Surprise, surprise it needed everything $$$. The fish were dead within a month of the "fixes". Any chance of keeping in contact with the previous owners? They're your absolute best source because they know your pond.

Good luck. Best thing you can add to your pond is a chair and a glass of wine...for you, not the pond.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Here is what I use to test my pond. I do not test for salt though.

http://www.amazon.co...9023797&sr=1-11

I use the same,tmann, but have not tested in quite a while, my pond has been stable.......luckily.

Your pond looks great dutchstar, I would also suggest you take it easy on making changes. Watch you pond, test the water, see how it does with no changes. I don't use salt. Don't add anything to the water.
The main thing to watch for is overfeeding, the left over food can foul the water.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I threw out my test strips they never were close to the liquid kit in readings, i bought them new, maybe they were old.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Very nice! That would be sweet to have.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
API liquid drop kit is probably one of the best on the market for new pond owners and for getting most of your basic pond parameters. It's not to costly, accurate, and easy to use. There are plenty of more accurate ways to test but they can become quite costly. Be sure and check out ebay for a salt meter. http://www.ebay.com/itm/TDS4TM-3000...672?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35ac702260
This is the one I use and it works great.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
There is one on sale that looks good and does 500 test and is liquid and is 18.88 at pet mountain.com

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
It doesn't test for everything but is a good price for a liquid test kit .I usually get mine tested at the pet store where I go but I may get one just to have it here just in case .My neighbor uses this brand

Ask a Question