Reaction score
IMG_20171020_112111.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I do both!..then unless the reading is 0.0 , I also try different angles, and then seek the opinion of others...some tests (like ph) are not always easy to read accurately

ZEROPILOT

Faster than you are.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a-10b
Country
United States
It's funny because sometimes I'll think that it's closer to one color and then another.
I usually end up with the test tube up against the card.

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I tested a lot when I first set my pond up...my results were much like @ZEROPILOT...but I haven't tested in about two months. The water looks good (I know that's not a determination) and the fish look healthy, are growing, and eating well.

Reaction score
Got a tester because I was suppose to (against the advise of the pond store that sold it to me). Used it a couple of times and never used it again. What I came to realize was that I had a pond and not a swimming pool. There was nothing I could do if the water tested bad other than to add "stuff" and since stuff is bad why bother? Just do a compete or partial water change. I also found that the results from the $10 dollar test kit did not match the test from the county health department where I get my well water tested they weren't even close. I'm guessing that they don't use $10 dollar kits there. To me test kits are like the old snake oil treatments. Your fish have spots on them test your water, your fish are cross eyed test your water, your water looks green test your water, your plants don't flower test your water, your rocks are slimy test your water,your water looks clear test your water just in case. Test your water weekly and you will be assured of still having all of the above.

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Got a tester because I was suppose to (against the advise of the pond store that sold it to me). Used it a couple of times and never used it again. What I came to realize was that I had a pond and not a swimming pool. There was nothing I could do if the water tested bad other than to add "stuff" and since stuff is bad why bother? Just do a compete or partial water change. I also found that the results from the $10 dollar test kit did not match the test from the county health department where I get my well water tested they weren't even close. I'm guessing that they don't use $10 dollar kits there. To me test kits are like the old snake oil treatments. Your fish have spots on them test your water, your fish are cross eyed test your water, your water looks green test your water, your plants don't flower test your water, your rocks are slimy test your water,your water looks clear test your water just in case. Test your water weekly and you will be assured of still having all of the above.

Well said.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I understand testing some stuff, like I’d like a good baseline of water ph fresh from the faucet; but a lot of it I don’t know what’s what. I know ph is how acidic or alkaline the water is; but how to adjust it if needed? And what causes it to change? Ammonia is pee, nitrates or something like that is gunk rotting in there, the other nitrogen thing is it after bacteria breaks it down. But to be honest, I don’t know what’s what, why it’s done, or how to fix what is wrong. I’ve just kinda let my fish be. Water dirty: clean it. Water low, add fresh. Water funky- drain and add new. Fish got sick, I found out cause and medicated them while I cleaned the pool. ( 10 odd fish, 5 full size adults, in a 40 gal aquarium for medication ease was not nice. Daily 50% changes!) can a test advocate explain?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I understand testing some stuff, like I’d like a good baseline of water ph fresh from the faucet; but a lot of it I don’t know what’s what. I know ph is how acidic or alkaline the water is; but how to adjust it if needed? And what causes it to change? Ammonia is pee, nitrates or something like that is gunk rotting in there, the other nitrogen thing is it after bacteria breaks it down. But to be honest, I don’t know what’s what, why it’s done, or how to fix what is wrong. I’ve just kinda let my fish be. Water dirty: clean it. Water low, add fresh. Water funky- drain and add new. Fish got sick, I found out cause and medicated them while I cleaned the pool. ( 10 odd fish, 5 full size adults, in a 40 gal aquarium for medication ease was not nice. Daily 50% changes!) can a test advocate explain?

That's a complex question that requires a complex answer. I think when you get those water test kits that I suggested in the other thread and post the results, we (the members here at GPF) can help you go over the results, how to interpret them and what to do from there (if anything).
- if you can become an expert in maintaining a high quality of water, you will be able to do most anything you want to do with your pond.

Last edited:

Ask a Question