Water to clear

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I replaced my filter and now the fish stay at the bottom as waters too clear,the new spinfilter has a 13 amp bulb should I replace it with a 10 amp

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Rarely do we hear issues about water being too clear. I suspect it is just a change that they will get used to in time. How long has it been going on?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I’m curious, but what is a “spinfilter?”
more than likely it's a drum filter that spins and washes it self off starting at 3 grand and goes up to ridiculous amounts . They are the super car of pond filters they usually have between a 75 to a 200 micron screen where dirty water is forced onto the screen and the rotating drum washes it self with spray bars

The reject water from the drum filter also contains more dissolved suspended fine particulate matter than the disc filter. This is despite far less reject water being produced from a disc filter than from a drum filter. Figure 4 clearly shows that the clear phase of the disc filter reject water is the most transparent following sedimentation. This may have something to do with the disc filter having a larger filter area and that the particles are being less degraded and ground down than in a drum filter.

Optimise the load on the filters

In general, a larger filter area will provide a better filtration effect in all types of microscreens. Our recommendation is to avoid loading the filters so heavily that they are run more or less in continuous backwash, as this reduces the filtration effect and probably also increases water consumption. The filter is more effective at catching particles if the particulate matter has time to adhere properly to the filter cloth before the drum starts to rotate and backwash. For best results, we believe it is wise to size the filter with extra filter area. This also helps to avoid getting into trouble if a lot of fouling should eventually occur in the filter cloth.

In short, there can be many advantages using disc filters for particle removal in RAS systems.

To order NP Innovation Disc and Drum filters in the US, Mexico and Canada, contact Innovasea at https://www.innovasea.com/land-based-aquaculture/ras-equipment-supply/drum-filters/.

Ask a Question