water too hot for fish?

Reaction score
as much of the country is in oppressive heat, i wanted to know if i instal an aerator pump and air stone but place the pump itself inside an airconditioned part of my house, will the cooler inside 78 degree air help the pond water temperature down a bit?

on the flip side will it work in reverse in the winter?

otherwise any tips on keeping the pond water cooler in summera other than shade and surface plants i.e. water lilies etc

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
How about a nice big block of ice or 50? Prolly would melt so fast they wouldn't even feel it :lol:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I don't use my air pump in the winter .Don't really need it then .I'm not sure cooling the water would be good for the water quality .Not sure doing that would make much of a difference any way .I guess your think like an air conditioner if you turn it around in witer you get heat ,similar to the heat pumps we use here in VA .I had a traditional heating system in NJ and it took me awhile to get used to this heat pump thing ,7 years and still not sure about it .

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Just keep the water moving and the fish will be alright its hot everywhere

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
If not have a fish fry ,with temps climbing like they are it could be a lot of cooked fish

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Oh sissy that was a bad one.............yikes :lol:
Come on over to my place everyone.............it's nice and cool here, well actually starting to climb up to 70F now :lol:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Sure the more the merrier. Maybe we can all dig a big huge pond here for them to enjoy while you are here and then when you all leave I get a nice huge pond out of it. Well it sounds good to me :lol:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Ha ha addy now there's a great idea. Anyone coming up from Arizona want to stop by addy's rental and pick it up on the way up here to the chill out party? :lol:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I could just see the airports now crowded with people going to the same place and everyone else thinking something bad must be going to happen to the rest of the USA and thats why every ones headed there .Tilt the USA .Talk about a population explosion

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
the warmer the water; the less oxygen it csn hold...an air stone is a good idea anyways, but in this heat it's even better!!! may not be necessary but it sure wouldnt hurt!

Reaction score
bluescoot said:
as much of the country is in oppressive heat, i wanted to know if i instal an aerator pump and air stone but place the pump itself inside an airconditioned part of my house, will the cooler inside 78 degree air help the pond water temperature down a bit?

on the flip side will it work in reverse in the winter?

otherwise any tips on keeping the pond water cooler in summera other than shade and surface plants i.e. water lilies etc

Don't know about the summer but I tried it in the winter and the moisture in the warmer air in the house froze the tubing and stopped the pump from working.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
true moisture build up would happen .I guess oldheads experience with it tells all .I always turn my air pump off in the winter and use a pump in the pond with a pvc pipe with holes drilled in it to oxygenate the pond.I do this around december here and it works great all winter

Attachments

• pvc bubbler 004.jpg
    pvc bubbler 004.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 603
  • pvc bubbler 006.jpg
    pvc bubbler 006.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 614

Ask a Question