Water Treatment

Reaction score
We have a 10X20 pond 2 to 3 ft deep. The contractor who installed the pond recommended the following for water treatment:

S.A.B EXTREME to promote the growth of beneficial bacteria and enzymes. One table spoon for every 100 gallons of water once a month.

AQUACLEAR EXTREME DRY containing beneficial microbes and enzymes to reduce sludge. One table spoon per 1000 gallons of water.

ECOBLAST treatment for breaking down debris. Spot teat trouble areas in the pond and follow up with S.A.B. EXTREME on a monthly basis.

Does the seem like appropriate water treatment?

One reason I ask at this time is that I am out of S.A.B EXTREME. I would like to know if I should buy more S.A.B or someother water treatment in its place.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
The only chemical I have used in over 40 years of ponds is dechlor and sometimes salt. Someone is making money off you.

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm not new to back yard ponds, but I finally put my own 365 gallon in ground molded pond. I plumbed in a 15 gallon reservor that is feed via a scimmer that is at the waterline of the pond. I insatalled it this last September and my home made filters are working quite well. I also have a 400 watt heater in the reservor that is set to keep the winter water temps about 45 degrees during freezing weather. Where I'm going with this is; I attended fish pond seminar at the Tacoma Dome Spring and Garden show last spring. The speaker mentioned that string algee can be controled by putting Hydro. Peroxide in the water. Does anyone use this method and how much per gallon do you use?

Thanks,
Rich Kruger

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
Hi again,
Just wanted to add that in my pond I have 3 eight inch Shabunkins (sp) that are about three years old and 2 four inch Shabunkins that are about eight months old. It appears that only one of rhe eight inchers is a female. All the rest of them are working her hard, and her body looks quite large like she is full of eggs. I have a thicket of plants at one just in case she'e ready to start a family. This will be a first for me in this new pond. I hope to add some pictures later.

Thanks,
Rich in Tacoma

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Another method for the spawn is to float a new, untreated, mop head. She will lay her eggs under it and the males will do their part immediatly afterward. Frayed ropes also work, as does string algae and water hyacynth.

My koi prefer the string algae and water hyacinth.

Reaction score
I know this is maybe a dumb ? but why do you need to use declor in well water? Well water should have no chlorine to fuss with. I would worry more about it ph and things like that first. My daughters well water was very hard and left a film on everything. The ph was 8.8. But there was not man added chems in it.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
There is no reason to use dechlor with well water. Chlorine is a gas added to processed water to make it safe to drink.

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
Hi Dave,

I really appreciate all of the advice you here. The information is outstanding and has helped me more than you can imagine.

I am still curious about using 39% Hydrogen Peroxide in a pond to help control string algee. The contracter that gave this adive at a seminar that I mentioned above has been installing all kinds and sizes of ponds for over fifteen years. He says it works great. I haven't used any Hydrogen Peroxide because I wanted some other input on the use.

Thanks,

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
barley extract ,turns to humic acids then to proxide....works as long as you start it when the ponds opened in early spring.

Ask a Question