Reaction score
Country
Ireland
What are the must haves to get?

Currently I am using :

Tetra Aquasafe
Interpet Filter Start
Tetra AlgeRem

Is there any other treatments i should get, or have on standby?

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
The only "treatment" that is really useful is a chlorine and chloramine removing conditioner if yiu have treated city water. Everything else is snake oil. I don't even keep alagaecide as algae is simply part of the natural cycle of a pond . Keep good parameter and algae won't have any support.

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
What are the must haves to get?

Currently I am using :

Tetra Aquasafe
Interpet Filter Start
Tetra AlgeRem

Is there any other treatments i should get, or have on standby?

@Magzire ... All I do is a once a month, very slow trickle flow through noticeable water change, and, once a month use my Oase 4 Pond vac to vacuum only half of the pond floor and stream.

Oh, and a leaf net in the fall.

Luckily, I have limestone ground water, which is clean enough to drink straight from the tap, and I use this for my pond. So, I don't need any water treatments either...

... just for giggles, I do use some Koi Clay and...

...for more giggles, after done vacuuming, sprinkle about a good amount of clay kitty litter and laterite on the pond floor and stream... This supposedly helps to adsorb some phosphates and does other "stuff" supposedly... it easily gets sucked up when I vacuum, so no worries.

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
@Magzire , I acted the same as you when I first started... I wanted to do this pond thing right and all the pond products in the stores look like they do miracles at keeping a healthy pond... So, I tried alot of them and the only miracle was my wallet becoming thinner. lol. ;)

I even stopped doing algae treatments that I used to do in the past.

No need to use that Interpret Filter Start bacteria either...

Here is some stuff you "might need"... Baking soda (to support your water's alkalinity, if needed), calcium chloride (to support your water's GH, if needed), crushed oyster shells or a small aragonite sand (that is calcium carbonate product, a good general purpose pH buffer supplement to always use) and (maybe) a water dechlorinator (or Sodium Thiosulfate is a much cheaper dechlorinator, https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/which-dechlorinator.18074/)... ...and... depending on your source water, if it is like mine, I needed none of these.. :)

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Tetra Aquasafe

Everywhere i read people are saying 5ml for very 10 litres which sounds ridiculous.
On the bottle it says 10mls for every 200 lires

How many litres of water would 500ml of this treat?
Answer:
1000L
By MR BW KIPPEN on 09 November 2015
I use 5ml to every 2 Litre of water; leave you to do the Maths!
By Amazon Customer on 07 November 2015
5 ml treats 10 litres therefore if my maths is correct 500 ml will treat a total of 1000 litres.
By Julie on 07 November 2015
It is 5ml per 10l of water. So the answer is 1000l.
By Paul Thorne on 07 November 2015
Depends on the quality of the tank water at the outset but I would say in normal circumstances 1000 litres.
By David Marsden on 08 November 2015
use 5ml of aquasafe for every 10itrs of water - 1000 ltrs.
By Anna on 08 November 2015
It's 5ml of tetrasafe for every 10litres of water so if my maths is correct 1,000litres of water
By HELEN on 07 November 2015

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
@Magzire , I acted the same as you when I first started... I wanted to do this pond thing right and all the pond products in the stores look like they do miracles at keeping a healthy pond... So, I tried alot of them and the only miracle was my wallet becoming thinner. lol. ;)

I even stopped doing algae treatments that I used to do in the past.

No need to use that Interpret Filter Start bacteria either...

Here is some stuff you "might need"... Baking soda (to support your water's alkalinity, if needed), calcium chloride (to support your water's GH, if needed), crushed oyster shells or a small aragonite sand (that is calcium carbonate product, a good general purpose pH buffer supplement to always use) and (maybe) a water dechlorinator (or Sodium Thiosulfate is a much cheaper dechlorinator, https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/which-dechlorinator.18074/)... ...and... depending on your source water, if it is like mine, I needed none of these.. :)

I took your advice and stop using Interpet Filter Start. After a week or so i notice the ammonia raising between .6 to 1 (due to mature pond filter). Small water changes help but wasn't a solution. Also the charity of water started to degrade.
So went back to Interpet Filter Start and added a extra dose. Amazing results, 2 days later the ammonia is at .1 and water super clear? Miracle i think not, the test results don't lie, the product works. My conclusion after this i would highly recommend to anyone with an overcrowded fish stock or new to ponds. However now i will switch to Pure Pond instead (since it wasn't available locally, now ordered online)

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
@Magzire , I am glad it worked for ya.... (y)

...as I said, I tried many of those type of products from Tetra and Microbe-Lift and they never made difference for me... Microbe-Lift actually has a huge line of these type of products... all of which I tried and never noticed a difference... even though there are also testimonials saying the products actually do work for them...

I hope Pure Pond works out well for ya. (y)

Ask a Question