Water turning green

Reaction score
My dad had koi ponds in his back yard and fell in love with them. He did everything he could to get me to put one in my back yard. Right before he pasted away he claimed I promise to him that I would put one in. His pond were about 1200 gallons, mine is 15,000 gallons. Our pond is 25 across (basically round) and the deepest part is 9 feet. We have a water fall and a 40 foot creek that runs into the pond. We put water in it and let it go. I have a bio-filter 8500 GPH, and a skimmer 2000 GPH. This spring drained the pond and added 2 ponds, 3 creeks and 3 waterfalls (3800 Gallons). I had to clean the big pond getting the alge and dirt off the bottom. When I completed the extra ponds we filled it up with water . After a period of 2 weeks it was getting a green color in the water, So I drained it and refilled it again. 2 weeks went by again and it is turning green. I put some water plants in it, about 40 various kinds. Will this clear up the pond or do I have to do anything else to the pond. I did add another 8500 GPH bio-filter for the new ponds and creeks. The big pond has alot of circulation and flow, close to 20,000 GPH. Please let me know of any suggestions. When I ge the green out I will post some pics. It really looks nice in the backyard.

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
Sounds like a great pond.

Let the pond be green for a while. The algae is using the ammonia your filters can not yet handle. About 6 weeks after fill the filters should have matured and then if you still have green water you can try to get rid of it. Start testing/tracking you ammonia nitrite and nitrate levels.

Stop fighting with mother nature.

No shame in green water. Post the pics and maybe we can make some better suggestions.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Welcome, and can't wait to see pictures! Sounds like a fantastic pond! I agree with HTH. It's a part of the "biology" of a pond. Check your water, and if all is well and the fish are doing OK, let the green happen for now. I've noticed that most everyone wants the green to be gone yesterday, so they immediately start doing a lot of interventions (such as chemical algaecides) instead of just waiting to see what happens. Then, in a couple of weeks, the cycle repeats and the algae is back..... Oh, and be sure you're not overfeeding the little beggar-fish!

Since you have good waterfalls, you could try filling a [laundry] basket with some quilt batting and placing that in the water flow. The fibers will trap the algae, so you will have to replace the batting as it "gets the green out." Don't throw it away, 'cause you can rinse and reuse it. Several members here will probably chime in and give you more details.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
go to more reply options and you can upload your pics it is next to post

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Glassin said:
Did the pics post?
Unfortunately not... there is a button on the bottom right-hand side of the page which says 'More Reply Options' - click it. You then have the option of uploading photos from your PC - under the reply box you should see 'Attach files' with a button underneath saying 'Choose files' - click on that button, and you can choose and upload your photos.

If you are still having problems let me know and I'll try and help :)

Reaction score
Try this again. Trying to send pocs of our backyard.

Attachments

• Enoch Pond-09.JPG
    Enoch Pond-09.JPG
    111.7 KB · Views: 304
  • Enoch Pond-10.JPG
    Enoch Pond-10.JPG
    128.4 KB · Views: 277

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
Nice pond. Did you test for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate ? If you don't have the tests most pet shops will test for you if you bring them a water sample in a clean well rinsed jar.

Reaction score
I haven't yet, I think I can use the same test kit for our pond as they use for aquariums. I was going to get it done tomorrow or Friday.
I do believe it is starting to clear up a bit. But it is taking it's sweet time about it. I learned a lesson, don't mess with something that isn't broke. That is just a few pics. I'll get more once the pond is clear. Then you can see the fish.

Reaction score
It has cleared up!!!! Everyhting is looking good. Here are a couple of pic of the pond and and some fish. Not all of them wanted to come out of the deep and play. I'm very happy and proud of this. Thanks for your help!!!
Glassin

Attachments

• Enoch Oasis-01.JPG
    Enoch Oasis-01.JPG
    129.1 KB · Views: 300
  • Enoch Oasis-02.JPG
    Enoch Oasis-02.JPG
    137.5 KB · Views: 319
  • Enoch Oasis-03.JPG
    Enoch Oasis-03.JPG
    136.3 KB · Views: 343
  • Enoch Oasis-04.JPG