Water under liner

Reaction score
Country
United States
Good afternoon all. I was wondering if someone has experience with water getting under the liner and creating a "bubble" (not air). I am new to the pond experience and have found there is a flaw in my design but I do not know where/ how to fix. It won't let me attach pictures because the file is too large but I'll try to explain. In my front flower bed I dug out a spot and used a 10x13ft liner. I have a constant running pump and water fall feature made out of a livestock water bowl. Up until now the pond was doing well but today after a storm I went out and found that a large amount of water (I assume) has gotten under the liner, thus creating a large buldge/bubble. After putting more water into it (seemed low) the buldge is gone. We are wanting to get fish but if this is a constant problem I'm not sure it will be doable. Any help is appreciated!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1591302767445.gif
@Dkwiland
I've never had this issue but I know others here have and will know what to tell you to do.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I don't do it from a cell phone. I do it from my desktop and pictures are saved to my computer. I use the Attach files link you see on the bottom of your post while you are posting. Click on Attach files and choose where the photo is and click open and then choose full image. Somebody who does it from a cell phone can help better.

IPA

Reaction score
63b Chesapeake-Pamlico Lowlands and Tidal Marshes
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
When you choose the image icon, then choose the image at the bottom of your screen on iPhone at least, it tells you the image size with the option to choose image size with actual, small, medium and large. I always use medium.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Is it rain water that is getting under the liner or ground water from an underground spring or something?
If it's rain water flowing toward your pond, can you create a slight berm of soil all around your pond to guide the water away? You can pile rocks on and around the berm to conceal it and protect it from erosion.
How much extra liner is there? Can you create the soil berm under the extra liner?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If you have water running toward your pond that could be the cause the water found a weak spot and is now under the liner where water inside the pond and water outside the pond have the same Weight. the water under the line can develop pressure thus creating your HIPPO. It can be an easy fix but you need to get a hole/ trench down to the bottom of the pond closest to the HIPPO. Water takes the path of least resistance so if you have a hole dug close to the hippo and place a pipe a hose a opening down to the water it will raise on it's own due to the water in the pond pushing down on the liner simple action reaction.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I had that problem, I fixed it by putting cement blocks on the bubble, then added potted water plants on top of the cement blocks.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
There was a similar post recently and the solution was to use pvc pipe between the liners; I guess the pressure forces the water out through the pipe.
I recall that post! I solved the problem by rebuilding my pond and having it be a little bit above ground level (high water table here) — a great solution, though not a practical one for the OP.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you all. Some great ideas. Yes I believe it's rain water coming in. I thought about a berm type but the sidewalk is so close there isn't room. I think I'm going to try the concrete block making an island for a planter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I heard about this happening in a pond-making video I watched a few weeks ago. Ground water gets underneath the liner and causes the bubble. They suggested placing large stones at the bottom of the pond to weigh down the liner and prevent the bubble from forming.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I heard about this happening in a pond-making video I watched a few weeks ago. Ground water gets underneath the liner and causes the bubble. They suggested placing large stones at the bottom of the pond to weigh down the liner and prevent the bubble from forming.
Can you point me in the direction of that pond-making video?

Ask a Question