Watercress

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can watercress (the large cress leaved sort) help purify water along with water mint? And is it true Koi & goldfish adore watercress?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Yes on both counts. It is a great filtering plant - it catches lots of sediment in it's roots. Just be aware that A. it grows like crazy and B. the roots form dense mats which can re-direct water flow. You have to be careful that it's not forcing water out of the pond. It's very easy to pull out though. And it's edible! It likes to grow in moving water - stream beds and waterfalls are perfect.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a ish!
Country
United Kingdom
Lisa, would watercress grow if not actually planted in a basket then? I don't particularly want it in my waterfall/stream area but if I got a free floating clump and anchored it to the rocks beside the outfall of the waterfall, where the water is turbulent, would that work do you think? I've not got any shelving around the waterfall's outfall as that's where my pond has sheer sides to the deeper level.
It's late in our UK season to do this now as I think it's days would be numbered, assuming it dies off during winter, but I was thinking maybe next spring I might try this, if only as a possible food for my fish, Koi, orfe and mixed goldies. I hate the stuff myself, yuk.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
It will grow without being planted . I put stems in window boxes I have pond water running thru and within 2 weeks the roots fill the bottom of the boxes and clog the drain holes. It will die off during winter but easy to get in the spring from the grocery store!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Yes it definitely doesn't want to be in a pot. I just tuck it between rocks or plop a rock on top of the stem and let it do it's thing. And actually it prefers cooler weather, so I would try it now. It's cheap to buy here - I get a bunch for a dollar at the market - and grows so fast you'll have plenty before you know it! Also, mine doesn't always die off - I've had a couple years where it has started back up in the spring. So you never know! You might get a jump on next year!

Ask a Question