Watercress

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Bought 2 bunches of Watercress from the Produce Dept. at ShopRite and they are growing nicely in our waterfall filter. In their second week and we have not had a lot of sunny days. Sprouted roots afte rabout 4 days. Cost? $1.39 a bunch!
:lol:

Attachments

• Water Cress 2.JPG
    Water Cress 2.JPG
    55.9 KB · Views: 695
  • Water Cress.JPG
    Water Cress.JPG
    53.8 KB · Views: 860

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
That water cress looks like plants that I see on my walks in ditches along side the roads. I'm going to pick some and bring it home and post a photo and see what you think :rolleyes:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
j.w said:
That water cress looks like plants that I see on my walks in ditches along side the roads. I'm going to pick some and bring it home and post a photo and see what you think :rolleyes:

Just don't eat it jw!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
LOL Addy! Watercress grows in moving water. It acts as a filter for your pond. I am trying to be cheap, uh I mean thrifty this year on buying plants. Just need some horwart and I will probably try and get some water lettuce and or hyacinth and call it a day. Apparently water cress grows quickly and I figured being a lettuce variety would tolerate the cooler nights and if it froze I could afford to easily replace it.

Reaction score
I put some on the waterfall. Just placed small river rock on the stems been in there for a few days and roots are forming...:twisted:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Not gonna eat it but wondering if fish can get the liver flukes also? Tried to find on the net but didn't get anything definite :twisted: Maybe safer to buy in the grocery store :regular_waving_emot

Reaction score
Yeah I don't think you should be putting plants from ditches into your pond because all kinds of nasty things live in there and you could be introducing a potentially deadly diseas into your pond, but since you live in the country it is probabley alot cleaner buy you know best. And thanks for the info on watercress I have been wondering for a while so now I'm going to go to the supermarket and buy a bunch.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
mouseams said:
LOL Addy! Watercress grows in moving water. It acts as a filter for your pond. I am trying to be cheap, uh I mean thrifty this year on buying plants. Just need some horwart and I will probably try and get some water lettuce and or hyacinth and call it a day. Apparently water cress grows quickly and I figured being a lettuce variety would tolerate the cooler nights and if it froze I could afford to easily replace it.

I keep trying to be cheap.............thrifty, but then peeps offered some nice plants for sale, cheaply in a few forums, so there went my thriftyness. But like the fish, my pond is under planted and lowly stocked, if the few I have ever show their fins again lol. I will be picking up some water cress, it would do good in my little ponds/streams

This is the summer it will really get going.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
I just dropped two bunches in, some of it has left the water fall, but I figured the hardier plants will stay put once they establish their roots. I have attached pics from earlier this week.

Attachments

• Water Cress.JPG
    Water Cress.JPG
    53.8 KB · Views: 546
  • Water Cress 2.JPG
    Water Cress 2.JPG
    55.9 KB · Views: 552

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
Question:
.................how short can i cut the stems on this watercress and still get good rooting results?
*** i think i have a good idea for a planting ring "island" for this stuff.....take one of my floating plant rings and put a nother piece of the fencing on the top. Then simply tuck the plants into the mesh holes!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
koiguy1969 said:
Question:
.................how short can i cut the stems on this watercress and still get good rooting results?
*** i think i have a good idea for a planting ring "island" for this stuff.....take one of my floating plant rings and put a nother piece of the fencing on the top. Then simply tuck the plants into the mesh holes!

Well no clue koiguy, I like your idea, give it a try, that is what I do, take a few cut them and see what happens.

Ask a Question