Waterfall algae

Reaction score
Country
United States
Eagerly awaiting this cold weather to end so I can remove the netting and clean up the pond for the warmer weather. However, over these past few winter months I've noticed a slow build-up of green algae only on the one large rock where the waterfall flows. It's still growing and it's starting to hang down into the actual pond itself. Since the net is still up I don't want to get in there to remove it and I'm concerned that once the warmer weather comes I may experience an algae explosion.

The water chemistry is good and I completed a 50% water change well over a month ago. I've had the pond and filters running constantly though the winter. I only have three plants I have three plants in the pond and one is completely dead. I will get more when it warms up

Anything else I can do to prevent this growth?

Attachments

• 20200302_133957.jpg
    20200302_133957.jpg
    267 KB · Views: 115
  • 20200302_133945.jpg
    20200302_133945.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 112
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I personally wouldn't worry about that bit of string algae right now. It's just taking advantage of the nutrients in the water while your plants are dormant (dead?) In the Spring when the rest of the plants get growing, and you add more, that should take care of the problem. In the meantime, it's the only plant growing & keeping your water clear, so - not a bad thing.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I agree do not do anything. My stream this year has the most string algae I have ever had, this was a very warm winter the and the fish have been more active so more nutrients in the pond. Once the plants grow the algae will go away. It is nature doing its thing. BTW most likely it will get worse before it gets better.

Ask a Question