Waterfall and stream treatment advice please :)

Reaction score
Hi all,

New to this and need a bit of advice if you can, I've built a shallow 8 meter stream with a waterfall at its head, there is a good waterflow but Im starting to get algae build upon the gravel, what are my options for treatment (pet and child safe solutions only please guys)

Thanks
Stee

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
algae on your waterfall is good it cleans the water .But us ponders love our rocks .I use peroxide .I turn off my pump and make sure the aerator is going .I spray the rocks with peroxide and use a toilet bowl brush to take off the heavy stuff .I then spray again and wait 15 minutes and then turn everything back on .It helps to do it when it is sunny out .It kills it faster

Reaction score
Thanks for that Sissy, I have a pond less waterfall, the algae problem is on the gravel under the stream and looks unsightly, I don't mind it on the rock, it will always jet wash off :)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
since it is pondless you could just pour a couple of bottles in there every couple of months .It should keep it clean .I have seen them also use solar salt for water softeners and pool chemicals

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
yep it does not stay in the water .But you would not want the pets drinking it right after you treat it .I use it in my bird bath along with solar salt to keep water fresh and clean 2 tablespoons of each .It is good to take a bath in with baking soda and epsom salts it balances your ph calm sore muscles and makes skin soft

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Peroxide has been safe for the fish I have in my pond... Sissy got me using the peroxide as well because I have horrible amounts of string algae that I can't seem to tame. I've seen the fish swim through an area I just poured the peroxide and it never seems to affect them. Also keep in mind that the peroxide dissipates after a few minutes, so by the time you turn your pump back on it will be completely inert. Another thing to consider... you use peroxide to clean your mouth after dental surgery. Its safe for us to swallow it, so it's likely also safe for pets. I keep my dogs out of the water while I'm doing a treatment, but once the pumps are back on they start drinking the water again without any ill effects.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We buy sodium percarbonate to treat our waterfall and rocks. It's a granular product that breaks down into hydrogen peroxide and soda ash when it comes in contact with the water. It's sold as a pond product under various names (GreenClean, Ecoblast, etc) for about 10-15 times the cost. It's safe to use, it's simple, and it's effective. Just shut down the waterfall (aerators on), sprinkle it wherever you see algae, wait 20 minutes and turn the water back on. No more algae.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I looked at sodium percarbonate on ebay but it says it is not safe for fish in some of the descriptions are there different kinds of it

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I looked at sodium percarbonate on ebay but it says it is not safe for fish in some of the descriptions are there different kinds of it

Not that I am aware of. I've never seen anything that would indicate it's not fish safe. More importantly we have used it for years without any problems for fish or plants. And you can purchase it under many names as a pond product.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5B
algae on your waterfall is good it cleans the water .But us ponders love our rocks .I use peroxide .I turn off my pump and make sure the aerator is going .I spray the rocks with peroxide and use a toilet bowl brush to take off the heavy stuff .I then spray again and wait 15 minutes and then turn everything back on .It helps to do it when it is sunny out .It kills it faster
I just buy 2L of the drug store 3% peroxide ( 4 x 500mL ) I pour it into my waterfall feeder source on a sunny day. I don't scrub as it just seems to die back and disappear over a few days. Seems to last me about 4 weeks before I need to treat again. Cost for 2L is less than $10.00, and hydrogen peroxide is safe as it's just H2O2 (hyper oxygenated water more or less) The higher percentages of peroxide (35% Food grade) is corrosive and is used as a food services sanitizer. At 3% it's not corrosive and is fish safe and pet safe in the diluted amount that would be in your water. Heck, people use 3% as a mouthwash and teeth whitener. Bye-bye string algae. After 4 years, my fish never seem to mind it at all, nor did my tadpoles.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I buy the gallon jugs from a supply house here and if you buy a whole case of 6% you can get it for 10 dollars with tax .I dilute it before I use it .I used to buy it at walmart 88 cents and then from a friend who works at a nursing home but she forgot to order it for me this last time.I keep it stored in the cool basement because heat can affect it .Brown bottles are used because light breaks it down .The nursing home use's it to clean everything with instead of bleach .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
I also use the stuff from walmart... 88 cents for a 1 liter bottle. I use two bottles at a time, but last time I forgot about shutting down the pumps. I may have to hit it again on Thursday.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Just watch your plants because it can kill them if you use to much to often or remove the in pond plants .I use about 1 of those bottles 1 time a month but mix it with water just before I add it since mine is stronger and my pond is about 4000 gallons .Try to not pour it in 1 area unless that is the area you are having problems with .I spray my waterfall rocks with it full strength .Not sure how it would effect a U.V . I just bought 2 of them for fish I was taking care and the people paid for them and then they bought 2 -36 watt ones for there new pond and told me to keep the other ones for helping them out .I wonder if it would effect the quartz sleeve any .I am using 1 of them in a 350 gallon stock tank and did that clear up fast .Not sure if that was the peroxide I added before that or the U.V..Then thought will peroxide effect U.V. ,but it is still working .Makes me wonder though .

Ask a Question