Waterfall cleaner that will not affect colorant

Reaction score
Country
United States
Is there a waterfall cleaner that can be used with
an algaecide and not affect the blue colorant I'm
using? This is a new waterfall/basin still in progress.
Thanks for any input...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Algaecide can get you in a nasty loop. You kill the algie, it decomposes and then grows more algie.

Buy/use a test kit so you know why your having a problem. For example my well water has 2ppm ammonia right now adding it to a new install would be instant algie bloom.

In short don't fight the algie take away it's food.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
If this is just a water feature (no plants, no fish) I wouldn't hesitate to use algaecide of some kind. But instead of the commercial stuff that costs a fortune, you can use inexpensive drug store hydrogen peroxide. It will kill the algae and I doubt you'd affect your colorant. Or try sodium percarbonate - it's a powdered form and easy to apply to wet rocks. Breaks down into H2O2 and soda ash. Perfectly safe and won't affect other wildlife that might wander into your water feature.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I see several concentrations of the peroxide.
Is there a specific percentage?

Nope. Drug store variety is 3% but I've bought and used it as high as 35%, which is sold as "food grade". Much harder to find now, but I stockpiled some a few years ago that I'm still working my way through. If you can find the higher concentration you can always dilute it down to a more manageable solution - the 35% is pretty caustic. I wouldn't recommend getting it on your skin.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1668365725155.gif
@musicweb
I found these instructions online for using the hydrogen peroxide: https://www.watergardenadvice.com/hydrogen-peroxide-pond-algae/

Ask a Question