Waterfall Construction And Bog-ish Question

Reaction score
Country
United States
So, it's the pond project that just keeps going! I setup the waterfall and I used the Atlantic Water Gardens BF1900 Filter/Spillway and it has a grate on the top to stack rocks to make a "bog", anyone done that before? Any suggestions? I saw on their website they put plants in it. And, if you at the pics, I did a couple of layers of underlayment on the blocks before the liner. I have a skimmer coming so, that's the last step before fish (although there is a huge and healthy colony of tadpoles in there now). Running all filters as a test right now; haven't trimmed all the flex-hoses to size yet either. It kind-of looks like a huge pile of rocks (probably because it's a huge pile of rocks). Going to have to figure out a way to green it up a little even though I'm no good with plants.

IMG_3686.JPG

IMG_3703.JPG
IMG_3704.JPG
IMG_3742.JPG
IMG_3747.JPG
IMG_3780.JPG
IMG_3782.JPG
IMG_3784.JPG
IMG_3786.JPG

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Nice looking pond, I just stuffed plants between the rocks in my waterfall filter. While it’s not a bog, but makes a good planter for something like parrots feather, water forgetmenot, creeping Jenny,etc.

To soften the edges of the pond you can add pieces of dead wood/logs, moss, also many if not most pond plants will grow bare root in the pond. So you can just stuff it between the rocks that you edged the pond with, as long as the roots are in the water most of the plants will grow.

I’m kind of the plants grow we’re the want type of person, until the grow where I don’t want them. So I pretty much have plants popping up between rocks all over my pond.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You could put plants in there with any gravel rocks etc and they will grow and help filter the water.

Love your waterfall!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
From what I can see ( looking good ) your not using waterfall foam. to stop water frtom getting where it can get out and hide the first fall is defined and looks good but it disappears on fall number two

Reaction score
Country
United States
I’m kind of the plants grow we’re the want type of person, until the grow where I don’t want them. So I pretty much have plants popping up between rocks all over my pond.

Do you use any "land" plants or just aquatic?

Reaction score
Country
United States
From what I can see ( looking good ) your not using waterfall foam. to stop water frtom getting where it can get out and hide the first fall is defined and looks good but it disappears on fall number two

That's right, no foam yet. Our rock folks ran out of the < 1 inch pebbles we're using and I want to foam and insert pebbles at the same time, so I'm waiting on them to get more, then we're going to shut down the falls and foam the first level.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks! And, I didn't realize they would grow without some sort of soil medium in the water. I'm going to give some a shot.
The whole idea behing a bog it plants your plants in rock where the only nutrients they get is from the water that is the idea. do not give your plants soils to grow in once you get the hang of ponding then you can step up to plants in soil along your ponds streams or waterfalls

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Do you use any "land" plants or just aquatic?
Mostly aquatic/marsh plants but I do have hostas in my bog and one popped in between the rocks at the edge of my pond. None of my plants are in any type of soil some are in beds of sand, rest are all in pea gravel or just growing between the rocks around the edge of the pond.

Ask a Question