Waterfall design help

Reaction score
I built a 14,000 gallon Koi pond and used the soil from the pond to build a hill that I have created a waterfall on. Unfortunately, while the waterfall works, the hill is too steep and so I would like to do something different. I am thinking about installing a series of mini waterfalls that would fall from container to container down the slope. I'm looking for suggestions on what type of containers or spillways I could use. I have a pump that puts out about 4000 gallons an hour, accounting for elevation, which I would like to continue to use. I would appreciate any suggestions.

The dimensions of the hill are:

Width at the base – 21 feet

Length - 20 Feet before the curve and then an additional five Feet

Height - 9 Feet

The pond measures 20 Feet x 30 Feet

the retaining wall is 22 inches high

the spillway in the photo is 11 inches high

Thanks,

Mike

Attachments

• 20210724_120409.jpg
    20210724_120409.jpg
    219.4 KB · Views: 75
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I know it'd be a lot of work, but were it mine, I'd pull the height down and distribute the soil left and right of center, creating 2 more falls, and landscape heavily so it's not as obvious that it was man-made. I'd even take the landscaping back and further around to hide this fact. You could have pools mid-height that then flow to one of the lower, newly created, waterfalls.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That type of rock is almost impossible to build a waterfall at least one that will look natural and won't leak like crazy. Your falls is more like a water slide then it is a waterfall. Waterfalls are channels of erosion and they dig them selves into the soil. this is how you can control the water and not leak out everywhere. Go to you tube and look for pond less waterfalls by aquascapes atlantis garden a modern designs

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Holy schnickes. That's some dirt pile. I'd cut it WAAAAAAAAAY down and either spread it out to create a large berm or get rid of it all together. You've created a small mountain in a flat landscape.

Ask a Question