Waterfall filter vs. other filter

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Hello,
I am trying to decide if I should have a waterfall filter and pressurized filter, or both, or just one. Any suggestions?

Many thanks!

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
What is the capacity (gallons) of your pond? Still 1600 gallons?
What is the ultimate [projected maximum fish load?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Yes, 1600 gallons No more than 5/6 fish, I know they will multiply...any way I can get the same sex to avoid that?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I just have 2 waterfall filters and no pressure filter .I prefer them because you can put plants in them .I put a crate in each of them to put quilt batting and a reusable furnace filter to catch fine stuff
100_7045.JPG
100_7242.JPG
101_1561.JPG

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I use sump pump hose 1 1/2 inch .cheap 10 dollars and have the same hose for the last 6 years

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I have skimmer and 2 Bio fall filters, no pressurized filter but I am looking into both options for my next pond

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Yes, 1600 gallons No more than 5/6 fish, I know they will multiply...any way I can get the same sex to avoid that?

Waterfall or pressurized is really a matter of personal preference. What is important is that ample surface area is provided for adequate colonization of nitrifying bacteria based on fish load. More (and larger) fish means more required surface area.
Taking into account the way manufacturers label biofilters coupled with pond's being typically overstocked, whatever you decide to use, I would suggest beginning with twice the indicated filtering level for your pond. In other words, Start with filtration levels indicated to support 3200 gallons. This should avoid any real issues in the foreseeable future/
I don't think that any fish can be accurately sexed at the juvenile stage.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
2 and even 3 times like meyer said .I even have a hose in the waterfall pond with a crate of quilt batting .The more filtering and aeration makes the pond easier to take care of .I even have large air stones in each of my filters and in the waterfall pond I have a home made spitter made from pvc and have a pvc pipe on the bottom of the pond with holes drilled in it and extra water from my 2 pumps goes to them
101_0331.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a/b
Country
United States
Like @sissy my pond filtering is waterfall into stream with plenty of rocks , gravel and plants . I have two skimmer boxes that house the pumps and matala pads with quilt batting for mechanical filtration.
water parameters and clarity have been great
What size pipe you use? I am guessing by the pic, 2"?
Pipe size depends on the pump outlet. You want to step it up 1/2 to 1 inch larger than the pumps outlet to maximize flow

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Reason mine is only 1 1/2 is because I have 2 pumps that have home made pvc splits that send extra water to other places .One is a x that goes to the bottom of the pond and other is for a spitter and a crate in the water fall pond .I think the x that I made on the bottom of the pond with holes drilled in it keeps the water moving on the bottom of the pond along with 2 air stones near by .I am kind of out of the normal with my build .I am trying to copy what my dad and I built when I was around 10 .I have all his notes and drawings .I think pond filters with plants in them work the best. Like a bog without the hassle of building one .

ZEROPILOT

Faster than you are.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a-10b
Country
United States
I agree with the fact that pressurized pond filters clog easily and are hard to clean.
However, I have a pond about your size. I use a more coarse filter media in the main filter to not clog so easily and I've converted my waterfall box into a "trickle up" filter with bio balls and lava rocks to help compensate for the slight loss of initial filtration.
This system works and maintenance is greatly reduced.
I still have the waterfall. But now it is also a secondary biological filter. Plants could also be added to it....

Ask a Question