Waterfall foam ?

Reaction score
Hi, I am new to the water garden/fish pond hobby, having trouble getting my rocks to stay put & cover my black preformed plastic waterfall . Just wondering if anyone knows if the waterfall foam stuff is safe to use , also if anyone has any better ideas. :} thanx

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It works great, or use pl roofing sealant. With the foam it can be damp when sealing, with the pl make sure it is dry when you use it.

Welcome to our group!

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
LOL when I read the title I was thinking this was about foam in the water at the base of the falls. Which would be too much DOC.

The foam and the PL stuff are both polyurethanes. Thinking the only real diff is that the foam can be used to fill gaps which is a big plus.

Been thinking about trying gorilla glue on lines. It is a polyurethane woodworking glue.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Just remember the foam does not stop water from flowing out, it weeps, but it is great for directing the flow over rocks and sticking rocks to the liner . If you have a place the water is going where you do not want it to, like out of the pond, use pl or something that seals.

I used about 3 cans to get this waterfall going correctly. Lots of gaps under the rocks. Before foam most of the water flowed behind the rocks.

The fishing line was a quick we are leaving town anti great blue heron protection. I have changed it out to some netting, not as seeable.

Reaction score
Oh wow ! Your waterfall looks great. Much bigger than mine , that's exactly why I need to use the foam . To get the water flow a little more even , & keep the water from splashing . I tell you the people on here have been more helpful than in any of the pet stores we have been to, thanx

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I used the Great Stuff Big Gap filler from the hardwear store, a lot cheaper than the black foam just for waterfalls. I have used both products and come to the conclusion that the onky difference is the color. The "Great Stuff Big Gap filler" is yellow, same as most of my rocks, and the official pond stuff is black. I used the Big Gap Filler in the holes between the rocks around my ponds, and then stuffed dried moss in the cracks. Moss is starting to actually grow now here and there and hides the glue. :)

Attachments

• IMAG9561.jpg
    IMAG9561.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 341
  • IMAG9354.jpg
    IMAG9354.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 315
Reaction score
HTH said:
Been thinking about trying gorilla glue on lines. It is a polyurethane woodworking glue.
I used gorilla glue on some yard art re-purposed glass pieces. It starts breaking down after a year or so in our climate. Looses it grip and just lets go.

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
gardengimp said:
I used gorilla glue on some yard art re-purposed glass pieces. It starts breaking down after a year or so in our climate. Looses it grip and just lets go.
I expect the UV killed it unless it was under water. But then I don't think you get much UV.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mermaid2 said:
Oh wow ! Your waterfall looks great. Much bigger than mine , that's exactly why I need to use the foam . To get the water flow a little more even , & keep the water from splashing . I tell you the people on here have been more helpful than in any of the pet stores we have been to, thanx

I have a t on the output of the pond pump, before the bog, the ball valve is open about 1/4 of the way. Not a ton of flow, but with it all on top of the rocks instead of under it looks like more than it is. I am real pleased with how it turned out. I kept adding foam until I was happy. Also some rocks on top of the flat rocks directs the flow coming down the flat ones.

Under the rocks is a 2 inch piece of pvc coming out of a 55 gallon barrel, put enough rocks on it to hide, a few to split the flow so it did not look like a flow from a garden hose.

Ask a Question