Waterfall help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, I currently feed my waterfall from my pressure filter outlet, I have seen various ideas on running it from a pump direct but I like the idea of filtration going through it, the question is could I use a box filter to run to the waterfall ? I sense the pressure wouldn't be enough but I may be wrong.

Cleaning the pressure filter is a absolute nightmare and I'd like to switch to a box filter for ease of cleaning.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I don't have any experience with pressure filters to know if they would provide enough flow to push water through a box filter and onto your falls, and likewise, whether a box filter before the pressure filter would be advisable. Sorry I can't help you there.

And not knowing your current waterfall set-up, to know if you can or want to rebuild it... A filter falls , similar to this one, could be a suitable option for you:

The type shown above is designed to attach the liner under the spillway, but there are others on the market which have a longer, solid spillway to direct water over your falls without liner attachment. Depending on what your needs are.

The above unit is similar to what I use, and is my only means of filtration for my 2000 gallon pond. Mine has a water inlet at the bottom. It has a built in swirl chamber at the bottom with an insert across the top. I placed a thick matala type pad in atop that, with a large bag of bio balls stacked on top of that. I never rinse this pad or the bio media so that those surfaces are available to grow and harbor good bacteria. Then on top of that I place some combination of other, finer, filter pads to remove sediments. These pads are the ones I rinse and reuse as needed. Again, you would have to study further to know whether your current filter outflow is suitable for this type of filter falls; as it is merely my opinion that it probably would be. But at least it is an option to look at.

Good luck.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
You said you "sense the pressure wouldn't be enough".
I would think that depends on the size of the pump and the size of the plumbing components.

For example: My output seemed better when I switched from 1-1/4" tubing to 1-1/2" tubing using the same pump.

Ask a Question