Waterfall pond setup help

Reaction score
Hi guys
I am setting up a new pond for some gold fishes in my garden. Size 5'x4'
I am looking to include simple waterfall of cut stones cascade. Head Lip Width: 1' Height 3'

constraint:
- beginner pond resources are scarce in my part of world, so procuring from UK costs a bit.
- I don't waterfall during all times of the day. Just in evenings

So from online recommendations:
1. I need 2000 L/hr pump+filter for pond alone, which is ok with Hozelock Easy Clear(in-pond pump+filter) 3000.
2. But for waterfalls of above said spec, I need (1x12)x150G/h = 1800G/h = 8200 L/h

Questions/Recommendation:
Should I go for
1. Hozelock Easy Clear 9000 altogether so filtered water gets cycled through waterfall during all times of day.
2. Use Hozelock Easy Clear 3000 for filteration, and use additional ordinary pump of 1000 L/h for evenings only for waterfalls?

Is there any downside to option 2.?

ps: I am a newbie, so don't expect much of thought on my question.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I wish I could help but I dont have enough knowledge to help, just wanted to say, can't wait to see what you create. Please post photos on the forum when you install it!

Reaction score
I ordered Hozelock 9000 and decided to stick with it.....should arrive in 2 weeks when my friend flys back from UK.

Btw this is my existing silly pond with few gold fishes that I have which I am about to replace with more plants, waterfalls, and ligths:

And doing small Fluval Spec V tank aquascaping for my office table :>

Attachments

• WP_000242 (1280x960).jpg
    WP_000242 (1280x960).jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 297

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
Welcome to the forum! I wish you'd waited a few more days for an answer because I just saw your post today.

I'm not a fan of these types of pumps because of the cleaning issue. You will need to clean the filters pretty frequently during the growing season so it's probably a good idea to place it where you can service it easily. Your waterfall will need to be on all the time as beneficial bacteria will grow where the running water is and switching your waterfall off may kill any beneficial organisms that live in it.

Please keep us updated on your pond! I'm sure you'll have a wonderful experience.

(By the way, how big is that duck decoy? It looks humongous, either that or the pond is small.)

Reaction score
ha ha...yes the bacteria, good that you reminded it...

re duck, the pond is super small....it was build in a hurry when I finished construction of home, that's why it ended up so bad and now had to re done.

Ask a Question