Waterfall -- premade weir or natural rock?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Hi all! I am planning a small pond, and I'm considering a kit that includes a skimmer and everything else -- from Webb's Water Gardens. I know it will be hard to visualize without pictures, but I will try to describe the area. My neighbor and I share a 4 foot high rock wall. All the properties on our street are divided by these old walls. Each lot is stepped down 4 feet from the next (we are on a hill). If I am facing the wall, ground-level for my neighbor's yard is about at the level of my ribs. So -- the back of the wall is solid ground.

I want my pond to have a small waterfall. I thought the structure supporting the waterfall could be built of the same rocks as the wall (these are all over our properties, so it won't be hard to make something that "blends in.") I was looking at different kits and such -- also looking at pictures of various ponds in books and online. I know there are premade waterfall kits that have a deep receptacle, pouring out over a wide, flat lip. Sometimes these look fake to me. I know you can disguise them with real rock -- but would that be too heavy? I can't imagine that the fake rock covers don't look very artificial.

Can I just make my own waterfall with rocks? Or is the receptacle/weir kit the way to go? Any thoughts and/or expertise are much appreciated!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Here is a little sketch -- just an idea of what I'm thinking of.

Attachments

• small-pond-sketch.jpg
    small-pond-sketch.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 334
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I am looking at a kit for an 8 x 10 to 8 x 12 foot pond. Maybe a tad smaller or a tad bigger, depending on how tired I get and what I run into when I am digging. The red clay in GA is like concrete. Nothing big. Just something fun and natural and splashy with a few run-of-the-mill goldfish.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I used some big flat rocks for my waterfalls, you just need to support them well. But I like the looks of that diffuser up there^^^^

I made sure there was a depression before the waterfalls to collect some water before it flows over the rock. My rocks are around 3ft x 2 ft. Right on the edge of almost to heavy for me to move. I moved them by walking them into location.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I used some big flat rocks for my waterfalls, you just need to support them well. But I like the looks of that diffuser up there^^^^

I made sure there was a depression before the waterfalls to collect some water before it flows over the rock. My rocks are around 3ft x 2 ft. Right on the edge of almost to heavy for me to move. I moved them by walking them into location.

That's what I'll be doing with my rocks. I have some just like that! Where you have to walk them a few feet, then rest. Then a few more feet, then rest! :) When I buy rocks from our local supplier, I would love to splurge and buy a really big boulder or two, but even if I could afford them, they would have to be moved via Bobcat or something, across my very nice lawn, which would tear it up. I need to be happy with "walkable" rocks!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You can buy a web cradle and get someone to help you carry them across to the pond. Some of the rocks I moved years ago I don't think I could move again................

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
My pond was built before I knew about hiding extra filtration in the water fall. I have one big slab of granite and the water falls over it from a height of about two feet. The structure of the falls is mortared into place.

If I was doing it now, I'd hide filtration in it....but I do LOVE the look of my falls :)

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Combine the two with this diffuser-
t310_0bb28a2f27dbc3d1f2959d47175f6a6f.jpg

All you need is a flat rock for the actual waterfall and other rock to conceal the diffuser.

When you dig your hole, get a liner big enough that the pond liner will also serve as the waterfall liner. Seamless liners (in this fashion) cost more, but are the only way to do it properly.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
When you dig your hole, get a liner big enough that the pond liner will also serve as the waterfall liner. Seamless liners (in this fashion) cost more, but are the only way to do it properly.
Thank you!

Ask a Question