Waterfall pumps as Fountain Pumps

Reaction score
Country
United States
I notice a lot of pumps are advertised as WaterFall pumps. Are there any downsides at all using a waterfall pump as a fountain pump only?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
To my knowledge (which isn’t much), the biggest difference is in the size (GPH) and head. Waterfall pumps are designed to move a greater amt. of water over a greater distance with some up-hill pushing..

How big is your pond? What kind of filtration are you using, and how do you have it set up? Could you post a few pictures?

Reaction score
Country
United States
To my knowledge (which isn’t much), the biggest difference is in the size (GPH) and head. Waterfall pumps are designed to move a greater amt. of water over a greater distance with some up-hill pushing..

How big is your pond? What kind of filtration are you using, and how do you have it set up? Could you post a few pictures?

I think I found a little info on this. Basically it seems best to get a pump with electronic flow control which is usually built into pumps that are specifically designed for fountains versus using a waterfall pump where you have to adjust the water flow using the tubes / plastic flow control adapters. I've read that some waterfall pumps don't like to be suppressed that way sometimes plus it probably would waste energy when a pump is trying to push out say 3000 GPH and you limit it to only 1000 or 1500 using the plastic tube adjusters versus electronic control where you just ramp it down to the needed GPH whereby it would use less electricity, etc..

Ask a Question