WATERFALL QUESTION -- HOW TO USE "DIG" DIRT, HOW TO COVER IT, ETC.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
We have a HUGE pile of clay-dirt from our dig. Getting ready to start the waterfall construction. Have read much about how you guys use your "dig" dirt, but not sure exactly how you mean. Sorry if I sound a little dense here, but can you sort of give me a blow-by-blow?

I'll try to describe what we were planning to do. If that sounds really out of whack or if anyone has suggestions, comments, or better ideas, PLEASE feel free to offer constructive help.

Have determined where we want the falls, and how we want the water to flow into the pond [sort of a waterfall-stream, about 4' back from the pond edge]. Have a SKIPPY, so part of this is placement of the tank, but think we have that figured out: we contoured the dirt pile in back and are going to line the back side with cinder blocks to keep the dirt out of the filter area. Will "floor" this area with drainage rocks and elevate the SKIPPY on one layer of blocks with an open area for access to the bottom drain. The cinder block "surround" will be 24" [more?] high [use rebar?] with the dirt on the outside stopping there, with the thought that the rest of the height would be from rocks. But there is SO MUCH DIRT, it would literally take a gazillion rocks to cover it, and this is where my creativity just comes to a dead halt. HOW do you cover the dirt? Or am I going about it completely wrong?
--------------
Also. Hubby & I differ on a few points. Not sure who is right or wrong.... Where we put the SKIPPY, I want to put down drainage rock [very dense, clay soil] and place pavers over that to level & even out the weight of the filter. Then elevate the filter on cinder blocks -- this is to be able to access the bottom drain. Hubby doesn't think we need the layer of pavers, that filter & cinderblock directly on drainage rock will be OK. He'll do it any way I say, but when I do something I kinda like to know if my rationale is sound. Feedback?

Ask a Question