Waterfall Question

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
So I have constructed Skippy filter and have everything to hook up my submersible pump.

I am going to place the filter behind a waterfall I am building.

I have a huge pile of earth and 10x10 liner and underlayment.
Now I know to tamp the earth and sculpt out hollows etc to which I will form the liner. And place rock
Once the liner is in place the earth below should be stable.

What I cannot figure out is what do I do about the ecposed earth on the back side of the waterfall?

If I have enough liner I could cover this area but if not do I build some sort of retaining wall to prevent erosion

I never gave thought to this before I ordered liner
What is proper procedure

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Thinking about this what about pressure treated 2x6.
I could build a U shaped structure and pack in the dirt.
The boards would be supported by fence posts.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Plants and rocks along the side so it looks like it blends in .Best is a ground cover phlox is great flowers in the spring and low growing and spreads fast also black liriopi also with it

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
april 2016 property 012.JPG
april 2016 property 028.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
I like the idea of ground cover I was just afraid that if it rained it would wash out if the t ground cover was not well established but I think that's the way to go it certainly will look more natural I appreciate the suggestion

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
170609 - Julia, Jenny, Jasper, pond, fish, Frank 32.jpg
As noted in the conversation, I made a shell for the front and sides using the rock. On the back, it's bermed up and I have a few rocks to hold the liner upright (to form a bowl to catch any wfall leakage). Then I planted a tree in the berm part, let creeping jenny have her way on one side and left rocks on the other. Since I bermed up all around the pond (inclu the wfall section), there was no need to sculpt or anything. I have a 'hollow' in my berm, then the liner, then the rocks, providing an open section directly behind the falls where I put the lava rock and let some of my wfall pour through.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
The number one best piece of advice I would give to someone building a new pond is to make sure it blends into the natural environment. You don't want your waterfall to look like a volcano suddenly erupted out of your otherwise flat yard. You can build a lovely waterfall with a very gentle rise and a few twists, turns and pools. Youtube is filled with examples of both good and bad waterfall construction. Watching those will show you that there are definitely right and wrong ways to go if you want a more natural looking pond.

But yes, the extra dirt from your excavation should be used to build up your waterfall area. You may also want to use some dirt around the edge of the pond to create a slight slope away from your pond - you don't want washout to flow directly into the pond if you can help it. Your pond edges ideally will be slightly higher than the surrounding area.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
keep the pressure treat stuff out of the way for water inflow and you should be fine with above mentioned replies

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
The number one best piece of advice I would give to someone building a new pond is to make sure it blends into the natural environment. You don't want your waterfall to look like a volcano suddenly erupted out of your otherwise flat yard. You can build a lovely waterfall with a very gentle rise and a few twists, turns and pools. Youtube is filled with examples of both good and bad waterfall construction. Watching those will show you that there are definitely right and wrong ways to go if you want a more natural looking pond.

But yes, the extra dirt from your excavation should be used to build up your waterfall area. You may also want to use some dirt around the edge of the pond to create a slight slope away from your pond - you don't want washout to flow directly into the pond if you can help it. Your pond edges ideally will be slightly higher than the surrounding area.

I have been looking at the pond and you are right. if I were to do what I was thinking it would look so out of place. The area around the pond is flat as can be.

To my eye a stream with a gentle gradient would be more aesthetic.

Sunrise in 2 hours. i'll get on the tractor, move some dirt and see where it takes me.

I will be able to have a couple of small falls for sound but nothing like a waterfall.

Looks like I can construct the stream in such a way that it will blend very well into the surrounding area.

Appreciate everyones replies.

Pics to follow.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I built a block retaining wall behind my waterfall which is hidden in the summer by the flowers.
2017-6-16 back path (1).JPG

2016-7-14 back of pond (1).JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
@cas - two great examples of making your pond meld with your yard. Both beautiful! A waterfall that is surrounded and backed by landscape can add height without looking out of place. You and your sister both have great eyes for design!

Ask a Question