Waterfall rocking sadness

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Does everyone get to a point when building a pond of feeling sheer frustration followed swiftly by despair?

The waterfall construction has gotten me to that point because it's proven very difficult to build up and cover the spillway. It could be that we've put the waterfall in the wrong place and needed a spot where it wouldn't be such a steep slope going into the pond. We were first buildin g around the berm with flagstone, but it looked like a chimney and I hated it... so we decide we'd try to put some small planting beds in there to fan it out a bit and use more river rocks and less flagstone. I like the effect, but building up the rocks beneath the spillway has been a nightmare. We had a good build in that spot (see "old situation" photo), but moving things around on top and adding the super heavy river boulders shifted so much that it all threatened to fall into the pond (and tear the liner, which we don't want to do!)

The second problem is how to cover the top of the spillway. We got a large, thin piece of flagstone, but it looks ridiculous and doesn't cover the mouth of the damn spillway.

I've attached a couple pictures to show what we're dealing with... We are so close! Thanks!

Attachments

• New situation.JPG
    New situation.JPG
    221.4 KB · Views: 678
  • IMG_3144.JPG
    IMG_3144.JPG
    172.1 KB · Views: 425
  • old situation.JPG
    old situation.JPG
    254.5 KB · Views: 533

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
only thing I can think of is to spread it more the bigger rocks would make a retaining wall for the back of the spillway and then add plant pockets back and sides and slowly build out from there .I can't tell but is the liner attached to the spillway like it should be.If it is not attached it will just run over the sides .I wish I could move the rocks but sad I can't from here .

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
It appears that the waterfall module is sitting on top of the soil instead of being sunken.as is typically done. This would greatly eliminate the piling of rocks around it to disguise it. The the flagstone cap may not look so bad.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
only thing I can think of is to spread it more the bigger rocks would make a retaining wall for the back of the spillway and then add plant pockets back and sides and slowly build out from there .I can't tell but is the liner attached to the spillway like it should be.If it is not attached it will just run over the sides .I wish I could move the rocks but sad I can't from here .
Hi Sissy!
We have a retaining wall on the back (flagstone.) As for the liner... this particular biofalls (TetraPond) said to but the liner right under the filter--not bringing the liner up to the lip. We were going to use waterfall foam....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
It appears that the waterfall module is sitting on top of the soil instead of being sunken.as is typically done. This would greatly eliminate the piling of rocks around it to disguise it. The the flagstone cap may not look so bad.
Hi Meyer,

Thanks. That is what I've been thinking all along but probably should have been more foreceful with my opinion. So would you build up soil around it now (including in front)? And stack rocks in front? Thank you.

Erica

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
lol waterfalls are pain , i spent hours hours and rebuilt it many times .
i will tell u , placement is perfect keep the plastic WF as it is , u need some height between the spillway and where it lands to have some falling effect , so u need to raise the walls around it from soil then stones in a way that plastic is unseen , one tip is , the top part shud not be sharp triangle as u have made it , it shud b gradual slope that means u need to add more soil on both sides of the WF to make it more like a platform rather then a peak . in that way its easy to add some rocks and hide its border .

then the part where water, falls ie the front of plastic WF , u need larger boulders to cover that place at least 2 on both sides then one in centre a flag stone adjacent to the outlet of plastic wf that will take water further away , i will explain more

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Maybe take a break from the project for a day or two also. Sometimes you just need to take a break and come back to it with fresh eyes. It's going great -- you just don't know it. It will be beautiful!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I'm sorry that I can't answer your questions, but just wanted to reassure you that you're NOT alone in your frustrations! I get really frustrated because I can't "see" what a project is going to look like during the building phase. I will know what I WANT it to look like, but getting there is a different animal. I think it's that my brain isn't wired for the "engineering" gene -- I never was any good with Lincoln Logs or Lego's, either. Don't feel bad.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
lol waterfalls are pain , i spent hours hours and rebuilt it many times .
i will tell u , placement is perfect keep the plastic WF as it is , u need some height between the spillway and where it lands to have some falling effect , so u need to raise the walls around it from soil then stones in a way that plastic is unseen , one tip is , the top part shud not be sharp triangle as u have made it , it shud b gradual slope that means u need to add more soil on both sides of the WF to make it more like a platform rather then a peak . in that way its easy to add some rocks and hide its border .

then the part where water, falls ie the front of plastic WF , u need larger boulders to cover that place at least 2 on both sides then one in centre a flag stone adjacent to the outlet of plastic wf that will take water further away , i will explain more

Thank you very much! This helps a lot actually! I have been watching Pond Guy videos constantly. I feel as though a pond has replaced my brain, in fact. I appreciate the time you took to mark this up!

Erica

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I'm sorry that I can't answer your questions, but just wanted to reassure you that you're NOT alone in your frustrations! I get really frustrated because I can't "see" what a project is going to look like during the building phase. I will know what I WANT it to look like, but getting there is a different animal. I think it's that my brain isn't wired for the "engineering" gene -- I never was any good with Lincoln Logs or Lego's, either. Don't feel bad.

Thank you, TurtleMommy! I went to the lake to look for driftwood this afternoon. I didn't find any, but I felt better when I got home. <3

Ask a Question