Waterfall Rocks Turning Black

Reaction score
Country
United States
The large stones that my waterfall flows over are starting to turn black / dark brown. I don't know why. Water is clear and clean, fish and plants appear healthy, pumps and filtration working well. The pond is less than a year old.

While id doesn't look bad or unnatural, we miss the natural color and striations of the rocks.

Reaction score
Country
United States
It's biofilm. You can clean it, but it will continue to come back.
Thank you. Is there anything that can be done to minimize or prevent it? It just started this summer when the weather got hot (I'm near Las Vegas).

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
The only thing you can really do is clean it once it starts. Or do like me and just accept it!

I use sodium per carbonate on my waterfall rocks once or twice a year. Cleans them up really nice and lasts a few weeks. Heat really speeds the process.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I like it. But I like just about anything natural.
That biofilm is beneficial. It helps filter the water.

My rocks are the same, plus there's clumps of algae hanging off the bottom into the water.
The fish like to chomp on it. You can hear them smacking their lips, sucking it in.

Ask a Question