Waterfall, So I did it wrong! How would you do it? PICTURES ATTACHED

GreatDanesDad

Electro-Mechanical Engineer
Reaction score
So I am the first to admit that I am new to this game and have had my share of learning experiences. The waterfall is no exception. Ok the way my filter works is water comes in the bottom and spills out the top onto a piece of flagstone and then into a small pool, which then pours into the actual pond in a similar fashion.

The problem, the filter is a round barrel and I could not find an easy spillway for the water to exit. I cheated, took a piece of flagstone stacked it against the barrel and took the advice of the guy from ace hardware and used “Pond Stuff” to seal around the flagstone and the opening in the barrel. It worked for a year without a leak for $9. So I guess I got what I paid for.

Well as was no surprise to me, and I am sure it wont be to you, water is leaking (a lot) between the barrel and the flagstone spill way now. How would you guys recommend fixing such a situation?

Attachments

• IMG_1380.JPG
    IMG_1380.JPG
    100.3 KB · Views: 373
  • Waterfall1.JPG
    Waterfall1.JPG
    75.7 KB · Views: 418
  • IMG_1132.JPG
    IMG_1132.JPG
    75 KB · Views: 458
  • 20130512_143023.jpg
    20130512_143023.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 419
  • IMG_1348.JPG
    IMG_1348.JPG
    80.7 KB · Views: 391

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
I know a quick and easy way to do it, it'll only cost you $9 a year. You might have some of the materials already, in which case it would be even cheaper.

GreatDanesDad said:
...took the advice of the guy from ace hardware and used “Pond Stuff” to seal around the flagstone and the opening in the barrel. It worked for a year without a leak for $9.
Or are you looking for something more permanent?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:56025]tank adapter I round barrel and tank adapter was less than 5 dollars at pet mountain .I trust them for my pond supplies
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:53599]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:53329]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:53415]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:52797]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:52793]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:52792]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:52790]

GreatDanesDad

Electro-Mechanical Engineer
Reaction score
TurtleMommy, no liner around the spillway at all. I tried origionally, but couldnt get it to seal against the barrel very well, the water always found a way through.

Yes John, but permanent would be ideal. LOL

Sissy, your idea is what I was origionally trying to do, however, my pump proved to much.. The pump is rated for 3000 gph and using any pipe coming out of the filter just overflows. I tried one 2" pipe then two then 3 unitl I finally just made a cut out and sealed it with "stuff".

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
HEY IF YA CAN'T FIX IT ...DUCT IT. IS THERE ANYTHING DUCT TAPE WONT FIX?....lol try "PL" EURETHANE ROOFING OR WINDOW SEALANT.. IN THE CAULKING SECTION.
FOR BETTER ADHESION, SCRATCH UP AND HEAT THE BARREL SURFACE BEFORE APPLYING.
A PIECE OF LINER WOULD LIKELY HELP. FASTENED WITH SOME WASHERS AND SELF TAPPING SCREWS

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
koiguy1969 said:
HEY IF YA CAN'T FIX IT ...DUCT IT. IS THERE ANYTHING DUCT TAPE WONT FIX?....lol try "PL" EURETHANE ROOFING OR WINDOW SEALANT.. IN THE CAULKING SECTION.
FOR BETTER ADHESION, SCRATCH UP AND HEAT THE BARREL SURFACE BEFORE APPLYING.
A PIECE OF LINER WOULD LIKELY HELP. FASTENED WITH SOME WASHERS AND SELF TAPPING SCREWS
Agree, the pl roofing sealant works great. I clean with acetone, scratch up the liner, use a small piece of liner for some of the fixes. The shubbie tank hole, liner, goop, tank, goop, liner around 1.5 feet down so there is water pressure on it, still holding.

I have used it to seal a hole made in the 1000 gallon stock tank (operator error with the backhoe i.e. me) seal around the 2 inch pvc water pipes coming out of the shubbie tank that go to the big pond, seal around the 2 inch pvc coming out of the shubbie tank pretend skippy filter and seal between each of the preforms and lotus tank. Some of those seals are on their 3rd year. Seal around the 3 inch pipe coming out of the big pond leading to the external pump.

Also have used it in my stream, no leaks yet

Sometimes I let it dry for a day or so, other times flip the water on right away. It does not like the surface to be wet when applied so dry it well.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I used black pvc fittings I found in 2'. There is a male and female end to the fitting.

I drilled a hole in the stock tank just big enough to barely get the threaded piece of the male end through.
Cut a hole in the liner and brought it up over the hole.
I put it together in this order. Outside of the stock tank, rubber liner, 2' rubber washer (I got in the toilet section of the store), then screwed the male end through the outside into the tank and screwed the female end on from the inside.
Then I siliconed around both the inside and outside of the fittings.

Then I took a piece of black 2" PVC about 5" long, heated the one end with a torch squished the ends slightly so they would be flatter instead of round.
Then I glued the round end into the fitting coming out of the tank. That made it so I could stack rocks around them and the water would flow out nicely with a slight overhang over the rocks.

This is my third year and no sign of leaking.

Here is one running and the other side not running.

DSCN1746.jpg

This picture was taken from the same spot, only with plants grown in.
831331_zpsf1f25d93.jpg

Put a red toilet washer on the outside

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I added a T to my pump and diverted the water to other places in the pond

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
testing your eyesight Haro .Trying to help your mind improve and your eyesight like the find Waldo stuff . :cheerful:

Ask a Question