Waterfall Sound

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm going to incorporate a waterfall into my existing stone retaining wall to mask some distant highway noise and neighborhood traffic. The waterfall will be in a perfect location to mask the traffic noise when in the yard but it's located about 40' away from my bedroom window and facing the opposite direction. I'd like to amplify or spread the waterfall sounds closer to my window by using an outdoor microphone installed near the waterfall and place two speakers on the opposite end of the deck. I've found one old post where someone has done this but was unsuccessful in getting a response. The waterfall will have a main fall of appx. 5 feet into a large in ground basin with an additional smaller fall of appx. 2'. Any suggestions on microphone/speaker setups or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've thought about that but it just doesn't seem right ha. I'll probably just get an outdoor mic and experiment. They aren't too expensive and seem easy to mount where I would need it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Waterfalls through a microphone just ain't the same

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
A wireless mount with the like of nest will give you the fallls you require

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Easiest will be to get a passive mic and run it to a pre-amp indoors before sending it on to your speakers. You'll probably want some sort of EQ in the mix, too. Maybe a good set of active speakers with built-in EQ could eliminate the need for a bunch of different gear.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I realize this is an old thread, but did you ever find a solution. I’m leaning toward going the mic / rock speakers route but know nothing about microphones.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Build an acoustic garden sculpture to amplify and direct the sound.
Maybe something like an acoustic megaphone or gramophone horn, or spiraling like a giant seashell or rams-horn.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I realize this is an old thread, but did you ever find a solution. I’m leaning toward going the mic / rock speakers route but know nothing about microphones.
Sorry for the late reply. I haven't done the install yet but I plan to this summer. I'll respond back if I get something that works.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Sorry for the late reply. I haven't done the install yet but I plan to this summer. I'll respond back if I get something that works.
Thanks, keep me posted for sure. I’ve made some adjustments and it would be plenty loud for some but I like the sound of loud water.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I assume you aren’t located in south FL, otherwise I’d come and help. I’m a swimming pool contractor.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
water falling into deep water makes the loudest sound and if it has boulders to both sides funneling the noise toward you all the better

Ask a Question