waterfall stones

Reaction score
Country
United States
during the summer our waterfall gets ''algae'' on it and looks ratty . during the winter the stuff hardens and peels off leaving pleasant looking stones . i wondered about putting some kind of liquid on it while it looks nice to abate the algae but don't want a detrimental effect on fish and frogs . i suspect it is a bad idea and i'd appreciate any suggestions . it is three tiered waterfall kind if like stair steps and i scrub it during summer with a very stiff brush but it never does look as nice as first thing in spring . as always i appreciate your thoughts . . . peace

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Have you tried spraying H2O2 (hydrogen peroxide) on the stones, after turning off the waterfall, that is? Let it sit for a little while, then scrub it off. I think there are members on here to do this with good results. Personally, I like the look of the algae.....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8A
Country
United States
"The nitrogen cycle in a koi pond is the process of breaking down fish waste, toxic compounds, and other debris by good bacteria. It is a natural process which occurs in well-balanced aquatic environments such as large ponds and lakes. The nitrogen cycle is responsible for the biological filtration within the aquatic system."
The algae is part of this process, and if you remove it their will be allot more waste in the water. This can result in an algae bloom in the pond that will turn the water green.
I think the best way to control algae is to introduce plants that look nice and consume the same nutrients that the algae does.
Decreasing the number of fish in the pond would also decrease the biological load on the pond.
I am personally against chemical treatment like algaecides. They disrupt the nitrogen cycle, and just treat a symptom of the problem.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I keep mine clean with a brush. The waterfall stones are the only stones I clean

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I turn off my pump and spray with peroxide wait a half hour turn on pump and rocks are clean

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I turn off my pump and spray with peroxide wait a half hour turn on pump and rocks are clean
I do the same but may too a little elbow grease with a toilet brush for the bad parts. Key I found is sun

Reaction score
Country
United States
was getting the brown on three waterfall stones so went out and brushed them and they cleaned up very nicely . i have quilt batting in our ''oase'' filter and it catches everything . i do not understand why waterfall stones turn brown but batting material is catching GREEN algae and lots of it . if one doesn't watch filter closely it gets matted thick enough to cut off water supply to pump . i thought green indicated lots of sunshine and brown indicated to little sun . . . peace

Ask a Question