waterfall string algae

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Hi all. Does any one have suggestions on how to fix waterfall string algae. I've never had this problem before. Sometimes it gets so thick it slow down the water flow on one of the large flat rocks. I've been going and manually taking off the algae but it comes back. Also I've noticed a lot of mud on my bio fall filters. The water was very clear before the spring started but became very muddy. However we had a lot of rain. Its starting to clear now. The filter in the skimmer and full of mud and requires cleaning every 2-3 days. Is this normal? The fish look great. Thanks

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
If you take it all away your pond may not be as clear as water runs over it the string algae picks up the nutrients in the water .I have turned off pumps and used peroxide and waited 15 to 20 minutes on a sunny day and turned the pumps back on and it turns white and floats away but filters get clogged fast from the dead stuff .You can use a toilet bowl brush to clean it off the waterfall area also .Heat and rain or never a good mix .It is 95 degrees here today and I had to shade my pond more .

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
The only place I have string algae is at my falls. It's acting as a secondary filter system and is beneficial. As pond keepers we should understand that some algae is inevitable and a good thing. Everytime you remove that stuff you are exporting nutrients and should simply be considered part of maintenance.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I used to have big problems with string algae. Hate the stuff. With my new pond, not so much, and I'm glad. But I have had incidents, especially earlier this year. As with my last pond I found a branded product called "Green Clean" worked like a charm. It's pretty expensive, though. So this year I started using that product's main ingredient, sodium percarbonate. It also worked great!
To use: turn off your pump. depending on pond size measure about 1/2 cup then dust all the areas with algae. Let is sit for 20 min. Turn things back on within 24 hours your algae will be gone! Careful for birds, though. It's harmful to them No problem with fish or plants, however.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Let me add another vote for sodium percarbonate - it's safe, relatively cheap, and easy to use. It breaks down into hydrogen peroxide and soda ash. We buy it from a soap making supply company.

I would add one step to those directions though - remove as much algae as you can by hand before you sprinkle SP on your falls. The less dead matter that enters your pond the better in the long run.

I will also add that in year five we haven't needed to use it at all. I think our water has finally found its sweet spot.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
If you take it all away your pond may not be as clear as water runs over it the string algae picks up the nutrients in the water .I have turned off pumps and used peroxide and waited 15 to 20 minutes on a sunny day and turned the pumps back on and it turns white and floats away but filters get clogged fast from the dead stuff .You can use a toilet bowl brush to clean it off the waterfall area also .Heat and rain or never a good mix .It is 95 degrees here today and I had to shade my pond more .
Thank you

Reaction score
Country
United States
Is there advantage of using sodium percarbonate over hydrogen peroxide? Just curious.

Let me add another vote for sodium percarbonate - it's safe, relatively cheap, and easy to use. It breaks down into hydrogen peroxide and soda ash. We buy it from a soap making supply company.

I would add one step to those directions though - remove as much algae as you can by hand before you sprinkle SP on your falls. The less dead matter that enters your pond the better in the long run.

I will also add that in year five we haven't needed to use it at all. I think our water has finally found its sweet spot.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I think it works better. You can see where it's actually been applied. We used hydrogen peroxide for a while too but got much more reliable results with SP.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I really don't like to buy stuff for my pond that has any warnings on it .I usually only koi clay because a lot of those things scare me .I add crushed oyster shells and once in awhile activated charcoal to my filters .Most of the pond and filters are cleaned by plants .I don't even use peroxide to clean the waterfall rocks they seem to have balanced themselves out now .I guess my neglect of the pond has paid off .

Attachments

• 100_7243.JPG
    100_7243.JPG
    289.9 KB · Views: 231
  • 100_7291.JPG
    100_7291.JPG
    231.3 KB · Views: 300
  • 100_7322.JPG
    100_7322.JPG
    263.1 KB · Views: 245

Ask a Question