waterfall volume slowdown

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I have noticed that my pond waterfall volume has decreased. I have even bought a new pump this year as i thought the pump got weaker over the years, but still the same. Could it be the flexible pvc pipe underground from the skimmer to the waterfall box is clogged? as anyone had this? How did u snake it out if so?
Thanks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Flexible black hose? Do you mean like the ribbed stuff you use to hook up the pumps with? If that is what you're using, then I wouldn't be surprised if the hose collapsed somewhere. That stuff is not meant to be buried, or have any pressure applied to the outside.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
No it's not the flexible black hose. It's called flexible PVC pipe, it's stiffer maybe like 2 1/2 to 3 inches thick

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
I've noticed this year that my waterfall seems to be running a lot slower, however the amount of water actually coming out of the filters appears to be the same. After watching it for the past few months, I have come to the conclusion that two things are happening. 1) The water is more evenly spread across the face of the waterfall now, making it appear that there is less volume. 2) Because of the excessive algae I have this year, instead of flowing over the lip of the falls, most of the water is being wicked back to the face of the falls, so it doesn't appear to be as much water spilling over the edge.

If you have a way to check you flow volume, you may find that the reduced flow is simply an illusion due to varying conditions?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I think you may be right. I have noticed that there were foam inserts in the corners of the waterfall lip. Maybe they wore down and the flow is flatter. Ill play with it and spray some foam then start there
Thanks

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
back flush the hose with your hose or the another pond pump .I have had to use an air compressor on my neighbors hose .Have you checked the pump and impellor

waynefrcan

19 years ponding and hopefully 4 more!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Even that better hose you are using can freeze and crack underground. Do you blow out the water in the fall?

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I got a call from a woman last week who claimed her 4200 gph Laguna pump had stopped working, and could I take a look. Checked out the pump, it was working perfectly. Turned out that the hose to her waterfall passed under a large limestone slab, and the recent rains had softened the ground enough to let the stone settle, squashing the hose. She was so happy to get her waterfall flowing again, she paid me double the asking! :cheerful:
John

waynefrcan

19 years ponding and hopefully 4 more!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
When did you start the pond repair business??? Ok got my answer in another topic, you run a small pond shop in a garden center.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Wayne; I've been pondering for over 40 years, and have always been a do-it-yourselfer, so when I was asked to help out with the pond area at the place where my wife works it was just natural for me to tell customers to bring in their non-functioning pumps so I could check them over. In a lot of cases they only need cleaning, sometimes a new impeller, and the customer goes away happy! The garden centre owners would probably prefer that I sell a new pump, but at least most of these customers come back each year for fish food, plants or whatever. To me, that is what a hobby is all about.
John

Ask a Question