Waterfall vs. Filter

Reaction score
I'm a fish junkie.
I have 4 aquariums with 22 fish, and a 125 gallon aquarium that I am refurbishing.

So I understand the nitrification cycle and the need for a good biological filter.

But I am finally moving into the pond world. (I have a huge goldfish in one of my aquariums, that needs a bigger home!)

So I have some questions...

Do most of you have two pumps, one for the filter, and one for the waterfall?

Or is it possible, some way, to have the filter feeding the waterfall? If most do it this way, for the life of me I can't figure out how.:100:

I sure could use some input.

Thanks a bunch.

Dave

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
is your waterfall a bio fall, or just a wier? how big is the pond? what size pump do you use? what kind of filter are you using? is it pressurized,or bottum feed , or top feed?

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
oh, i see you do not yet have a pond. so build a skippy style filter, out of a stock tank, 55gal drum, even a good sturdy outdoor trash can can work real nice. they are easy to build..cheap... and better than almost any commercially available filter. the size you need will depend on the size pond you build, the number of fish you stock, even the type of fish(koi create a higher amount of waste than golfish,thusly a greater bioload.) even a tupperware storage bin will work if your limiting yourself to a smaller size pond., and these filter set above ground, so you build your falls around them if you like, or you can run hose to a waterfall weir.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I use one for filtration which is also part of my waterfall and a circulation pump to avoid dead spots in the pond. I also have backups for both.

Reaction score
DrDave said:
I use one for filtration which is also part of my waterfall and a circulation pump to avoid dead spots in the pond. I also have backups for both.

wow youre really prepared...:twocents:...when i get my pond upgraded i will make sure that i do the same thing

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
also air pumps and volcano style airstones can eliminate dead spots, they can move a suprizingly high amount of water. they create a water column straght up, then mushroom out. and are generally much cheaper to run than water pumps. the deeper the water the more effective they are.

Reaction score
koiguy1969 said:
also air pumps and volcano style airstones can eliminate dead spots, they can move a suprizingly high amount of water. they create a water column straght up, then mushroom out. and are generally much cheaper to run than water pumps. the deeper the water the more effective they are.
do you have a link or a picture to this
i work at a fish store and have never seen/heard of this

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
what havent you heard of... that when millions of tiny bubbles move upward they take water with it? try it youself , elevating the volcano airstone an inch above the floor of your pond somtimes helps. my friends at my pond supply, told me of this. i dont know about regular ball stones . but the round disc style with the plastic frame around them, with the center hole,with the little vents cut out... thats what the vents do allow for water to be pulled thru easier. these vocano stones are readily available. and yes you can find it online...dont remember where but ive seen it. ask someone knowledgable at work. just like the water creates a vaccuum and pulls in air thru a venturi, the strong flow of air bubbles creates a vaccuum and pulls water from around and under the stone

Reaction score
is it like this
pPETS-3762450t400.jpg

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
some protein fractionators work on this principle look em up. protein skimmer, as they are also known. actually they would be a good thing to look into building.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
look em up...there is alot of sites about them... i saw a diy one using the air stone setup, and some venturi setups...but the airstone one was cheaper to run, maybe ill look for it later if its still there. but one site showed agraph of how much water an airstone moves per foot of water.

Reaction score
ive done a lot of research about them for when i had my saltwater tanks...i guess ill have to do more research for them on ponds

i just didnt know that they worked taht well on freshwater setups

Ask a Question