Waterfall vs. Filter

Reaction score
do you think ill still need it if i have a surface skimmer if its already pulling the top level of the water where all of the protiens are into my filter

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
you dont necessarilly need one any way i was just giving apoint of reference to show that air stones move water. more air pumped thru stone more water pulled withit. now lets stop taking over someone elses thread.

Reaction score
koiguy1969 said:
you dont necessarilly need one any way i was just giving apoint of reference to show that air stones move water. more air pumped thru stone more water pulled withit. now lets stop taking over someone elses thread.

oh...ok...yea we'll stop
sorrry dave

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Ok back to the original ?
Asudavew....keep your filter the same height as your water fall....DrDave water fall is built around his 55 gal drum,,when the water reaches the top,,it starts the waterfall...
I have one pump in my pond

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
With the skippy style bio filter made from a 55 gallon drum, you pump the water into the bottom and it percollates up through the media to an overflow which in my pond is also my waterfall. A large dump valve at the bottom allows for fast easy cleaning by opening the valve and it flushes the media as it flow out the bottom.
Very easy to do with a few basic tools.

Reaction score
Wow! I was expecting one or two posts after asking the question!
You gals/guys are great.

Thanks for all the answers, and I sure don't care about the additional questions and answers in this thread. I am here to learn after all.

Just to answer a few things.... I have a 165 gallon preformed pond, and I have also purchased a 510 gallon pump and a 750 gallon pump.
So I thought about using the 510 for a filter hidden in the shed, and the 750 for the waterfall, but I also though about just using one for both. I couldn't decide.

DrDave. Is your drum hidden from view? And do you ever have to "open" it to clean it?
Such as rinsing your bio material.

Thanks again everyone!

Dave

Am I at number 6 yet?

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
asudavew said:
Wow! I was expecting one or two posts after asking the question!
You gals/guys are great.

Thanks for all the answers, and I sure don't care about the additional questions and answers in this thread. I am here to learn after all.

Just to answer a few things.... I have a 165 gallon preformed pond, and I have also purchased a 510 gallon pump and a 750 gallon pump.
So I thought about using the 510 for a filter hidden in the shed, and the 750 for the waterfall, but I also though about just using one for both. I couldn't decide.

DrDave. Is your drum hidden from view? And do you ever have to "open" it to clean it?
Such as rinsing your bio material.

Thanks again everyone!

Dave

Am I at number 6 yet?

This question was answered in my previous post.

A large dump valve at the bottom allows for fast easy cleaning by opening the valve and it flushes the media as it flow out the bottom.

Reaction score
DrDave said:
This question was answered in my previous post.

A large dump valve at the bottom allows for fast easy cleaning by opening the valve and it flushes the media as it flow out the bottom.

Yep it was. Sorry.

I enjoyed your website.

Beautiful pond and fish.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
Mine will be the base for my waterfall too. i'm in the middle of a redo of the pond, i have a 70 gal stock tank im using. its 2 ft tall, i'll be putti8ng it back about 18" from the edge of the pond and running the liner up the side of the tank to the waterfall weir, and simply stacking the stone around the tank, with 2 large flat sheets of rock for the teirs. the bottom teir will allow a 12 to 15 inch drop of around 1800 gals per hour.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I have 2 drums tied together hidden behind a fence that feed a water fall..
Started collecting rocks and blocks to add a 3rd filter to the new improved water fall
Will post pics when i get going

Reaction score
asudavew said:
I'm a fish junkie.
I have 4 aquariums with 22 fish, and a 125 gallon aquarium that I am refurbishing.

So I understand the nitrification cycle and the need for a good biological filter.

But I am finally moving into the pond world. (I have a huge goldfish in one of my aquariums, that needs a bigger home!)

So I have some questions...

Do most of you have two pumps, one for the filter, and one for the waterfall?

Or is it possible, some way, to have the filter feeding the waterfall? If most do it this way, for the life of me I can't figure out how.:100:

I sure could use some input.

Thanks a bunch.

Dave

Hey Dave I'm in the same boat as you. I have aquariums but new to the pond world. I've been searching for the same thing. This link answered my question. I was thinking this would be pretty easy..just build a filter that is my waterfall and wa-la...and guess what it seems that easy. ...of course it's only that easy cause we know the basics of keeping fish...

http://www.skippysstuff.com/biofiltr.htm

dont get me wrong I have tons to learn about ponds and need to do some more research but my first question was the same....now I can move on to all my other questions...I think I am gonna build the mini skippy filter

Reaction score
Hey Koiguy i agree 100%...I will take my overfiltering concept from my fishtanks to my pond. When first thinking about a pond I thought to myself...I gotta be able to build a bio filter with just a pump,some sponges or Ceramic rings, and some sort of water container.....then pump it through and let that be the waterfall...So I started looking...not finding it at first...Then I looked at Skippys and that was it...so simple like I thought it could be. It looks like the skippy filter acts as Bio as well as Mechanical with all those sponges. I don't use Chemical in my tanks unless I'm trying to get out a Medication...I may even add a layer of rings,or matrix to skippys as well as a polishing filter on the water exit catch some more particles...

still doing research though..BA

Ask a Question