Waterfall weirs for diy filters

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
just curious...anyone whos using one of these weirs...could you post the width of your weir and the flow rate you using? someone wants to know if one about 9" wide will handle 550gph....thanks. and it would be handy for future inquiries.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
just made this one for vbbeachpondgirl ..its got a 12" wide water run, 2" high sidewalls, and 2' mounting plates.
PTDC0001.JPG PTDC0002.JPG
thank you for the sale....enjoy it!

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
ANYONE VISITING THIS PAGE THATS NOT A FORUM MEMBER...IF YOUR INTERESTED INA WEIR,YOU MAY CONTACT ME AT... nightstalker1969@ comcast.net

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
koiguy1969 said:
just curious...anyone whos using one of these weirs...could you post the width of your weir and the flow rate you using? someone wants to know if one about 9" wide will handle 550gph....thanks. and it would be handy for future inquiries.
oops... that was 5500 gph.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Are you still doing this?

I've been thinking of using a stock tank as a filter for a while but with my space I'll have to put it side way so the water will flow out on the side... which is the 'rounder' end. Can you make the weir fit to the curvy side?
Anya

Reaction score
this is a photo of our weir waterfall skippy filter :) still some work to do to finish it up but we are loving the look so far

Attachments

• pond waterfall.jpg
    pond waterfall.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 425

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
3-18-2014 12;06;49 PM.jpg
Are you still doing this?

I've been thinking of using a stock tank as a filter for a while but with my space I'll have to put it side way so the water will flow out on the side... which is the 'rounder' end. Can you make the weir fit to the curvy side?
Anya
Anya... i could make one, but following the curve would be tricky (virtually impossible, as i would have to have access to all the different tanks and barrels to even begin). so what would have to happen is....i would make one with the 2 side mounts but no bottom mount. you would cut a slot for the bottom plate (water run) to slide into as tight as possible and use a couple stainless steel 'L' brackets to mount the bottom to the tank. and seal up the slot with silicone. it could be done fairly easily. then you would drill or cut water outlet holes above the weir. the same would work for 55 gal drums.
there's a sloppy diagram...

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Thanks, I see what you mean. I'll have to think about this more. Also, if I decided to go with this I'll let you know. Right now I'm putting this on hold to see if my small bog is going to work or if we need more filter. We have such a small space :(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Koiguy, I too am interested in a weir this year if you still have some or are still making them.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i have 1 available right now... it will extend 10" from mounting surface, water spillway is 8&1/4" wide. with 1&1/4' high side walls. this is about the standard size weir. youwill need an area 11&1/2" wide by 3" high or larger to mount this weir.
002 (2).JPG
002.JPG

this weir will be $33.00 including shipping. P.M me if your interested.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Thanks Koiguy, I will have to show to hubby and check dimensions. Last year we had 3 2" outlets and I would like to make a bigger outlet area for more water flow.

Ask a Question