Waterfall - What's the best angle?

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
just remember to not over pump your filter, 3000 gals an hour thru a 20 gal filter wont do much filtration biologically. what size filter did you build.. i run 1200 gals an hour thru 70 gals of filtration this allows over 3 minutes in the filter, i wouldnt want mine to go any less because i have a large bio load. my water is crystal clear and i have no alge to speak of in my pond..its in the flter where it belongs.i might add a a suggestion.. fill the top of your filter with floating plants and drop a coupl oxygenators in too,the plants will thrive and furhter filter out nutrients before they hit your pond.

Reaction score
At the moment i'm running 400 g/h through an 80 gallon bio filter, which is roughly 12 minutes hang time in the filter.

I had problems sourcing medium for the biofilter, so i've ended up taking pvc electrical conduit and a routing bit, and slicing the pipe up into tight spirals. So far i've ground up 20 pipes at 9 feet each which has half filled the biofilter. The pipes only cost €0.40 per 9 foot pipe, so this is a cheap way of getting medium. The PVC is also heavier than water, so there's no danger of it floating and blocking the outlet.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
thats a more than adequate hang time..did you get rid of the wood and put some pipe there for it to spill from, or get your waterfall done?

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I used ABS irrigation tubing and DrCase used PVC in his first "Doc filter", We both have had great success with this media. Love to see the photos and especially how you prepared your tubes.

Reaction score

Attachments

• bit.jpg
    bit.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 240
  • drill.jpg
    drill.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 284
  • plastic.jpg
    plastic.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 281

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Very clever, I was going to use my lathe but the router bit solves the feed problem. Thanks for sharing, this is what makes this a great Forum...****:);):banana:

Reaction score
Actually the lathe would probably be quicker, and maybe easier. My technique isn't without it's problems, not the least of which is back ache, because it takes a long time to grind the pipes up and you're bent over slightly the whole time. If you're a little guy this won't be such a problem, but i'm 6' 4" so it gets uncomfortable ;)

It took a lot of trial and error to find the right bit to do this, and i also found that if you grind too fast the plastic can shatter, which is not good for the eyes, so eye protection is essential. You're also restricted on the length of the spiral that is produced - about 6-8 inches in this case (Actually, this is perfect for me because of the size of the biofilter).

But it works, the pipes are cheap, and there is something satisfying about doing this :)

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
ingenuity, trial and error,originality, and the satisfaction of a job well done as opposed to merely purchasing equipment, and sharing these ideas and processes so others may learn by our triumphs and mistakes...is what this forum is all about!

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
What do you call that phone call media..;)
I think my back is starting to hurt..

Ask a Question