Waterfalls...to splash or not to splash?

Reaction score
So this spring I setup rocks in such a way that it creates a splashing effect...not huge as the fall is not that high above the surface. I like the splashing sound but now I'm thinking about some other things: Is this causing increased evaporation? Is it creating to much turbulence in the water and on the surface? It does hinder seeing into the water on that side of the pond...

What are you thoughts?

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
It should increase evaporation. Depends on how much splashing there is. Lilies do not like choppy water. It is really just a personal choice.

Without a picture of vid to see how much you have that is about all I can say.

Reaction score
This picture is a good side angle view of what I have going on. The water was a bit low in that pic and doesn't seem to be "bouncing" quite as much as it is now, maybe due to higher water level. You can see the ripples extend pretty far...darn near across the pond. Seeing that myself now I'm considering taking those rocks out. I'd rather be able to see the fish better and I have been taking great care to clear up the water. The fish seem to enjoy the current there but some amount of current would remain.

My original thought/idea was to create a cool sound, have a quasi tier in the fall, and increase water aeration.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/95980543@N05/8879233557/sizes/o/in/photostream/

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
WATERBUG is a fan of the "catch basin." Don't know how to describe it, but it's a "semi-enclosed" area where the waterfall enters the pond. It sort of confines the splash-zone, confines the wave-action, yet water flows through from the bottom which helps with establishing a current.

I didn't want to make a permanent addition to the pond, so I came up with my version, using pool noodles and corrugated plastic "board." (It's like plastic cardboard). It works pretty good. Not too pretty, but it's a prototype.

Reaction score
Hmmm, might need to see some pictures of that idea. Is it like having the water fall into the basin maybe more drastically for the aeration effect and then from there having it enter the pond more gently? I also don't want to much water evaporating. It seems like after a heaving rain the water level will drop quite a bit even just after a couple warm days.

Reaction score
Ah thank you, good thread and gives me some ideas. I'm not sure if I have enough of a shelf to build up a rock wall but maybe I can come up with something similar.

Reaction score
The amount of "splash" you have looks fine to me, although I can't see the rest of the pond.
I'm not a fan of being able see the fish everywhere in the pond at all times. Besides the predatory safety aspect of have places for the fish to hide, there is an aesthetic mystery value to having limited areas where the fish can become visible. Of course it's a personal thing, but I'd rather view creatures in a more natural setting, which includes seeing and not seeing them. If they have the option to disappear when they want and you do see them it's sort of special, if you can see them all the time it gets sort of boring. It's sort of the difference between seeing a lion kept in a cage at a zoo, and seeing one at a game farm. The later is much more thrilling, and I always feel bad for those animals in cages that have no privacy.
Besides plant coverage, ripples in the water make a great place for fish to get some well deserved privacy. I only have about 10% of the surface of my pond open (no plants, no ripples), but I have no problem seeing my fish because they tend to swarm up to that open area when ever I hang around the pond. I like to think it's because they love me so much :heartpump: , but in reality it's probably just because they just want to get fed :dunno: .

Reaction score
i use a piece of landscape edging

IMG_0857.JPG

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
i have three water falls, the ripples don't go out that far, the lily leaves slow them down. There is plenty of places to see the fish well, when they want to show off that is. The fish are real happy with the coverage. They don't seem to like the naked pond look in the winter. During the winter I float liner just so they have a good hiding spot.

Reaction score
I might play around with the rock placement in my fall setup to lessen the splash. I do kinda have some of the flow funneled right into some lily pads that I need to change. I'm also growing out some water cress, lettuce, and hyacinths so there is/will be coverage for hiding. Lilly pads cover either end of the pond with a small section in the middle where it is open and I generally feed them.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have some lily pads right in the flow of two of the water falls, they don't seem to be bothered at all, can't see a difference between ones hit with flow and ones not. I always tried to keep them clear before.

Reaction score
Wow looks real nice. I would consider that a minimal amout of splashing. If you are losing water at a rate that is concerning you, I would look elsewhere. Some evaporation due to splashing is good. It cools the water, releases pollutants, and forces you to ad clean water to top off the pond.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Evaporation does not "release pollutants". On the contrary, it concentrates pollutants in the pond.
John

Ask a Question