Waterlillies in Kitty Litter

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Can someone give me any tips on potting waterlillies in kitty litter? I got the generic non clumping, unscented type. Do I need to mix it with anything? What fertilizer do works well? Thanks!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I put some fertilizer like osmocote on the bottom of the pan, around 1/4 cup. Dump the litter in, put the tuber in the litter, with the growing point facing into the center of the pot. lower slowly so it gets wet. Some dust will float out, but it disappears and is good for your pond.

Make sure the litter is pure clay no additives. I get mine at Walmart or tractor supply

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I fertilize my lilies once a month right now, but next year I have to re-pot them all so I will be adding a slow release fertilizer that is good for a whole year. It can be tough to fertilize them once they fill the pot!

And no - the fertilizer won't hurt your fish.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
How often do you fertilize them? It doesn't harm the fish?
Usually if I repot that is it for the year. This year I never got around to fertilizing they all bloomed nicely.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
i forgot to fertilize my pots :(
is it too late for a fall course?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I fertilize in the fall off and on. Esp if I groom the lilies ie depot.

IPA

Reaction score
63b Chesapeake-Pamlico Lowlands and Tidal Marshes
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States

IPA

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
What do you use to refill it?
Someone told me to use Organic Tomato Fertilizer and I used the one from Jobe's. There is some kind of fabric inside the tube holding the fertilizer in. The first time I tried rolling the fertilizer in weed blocker fabric but don't bother, a little will spill out but no biggie I think since you are sticking down in soil/kitty litter anyway.

Though I am impressed with the stuff @Gordo33 used and will switch once I run out.
https://www.gardenpondforum.com/posts/353880/

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I actually did a DIY version of this one year with some extra large plastic drinking straws - the kind that come with a smoothie cup. I cut the straw so it was just slightly longer than the pot was deep, "loaded" it with aquatic fertilizer pellets (these were more like tiny beads actually) and stuck it in the pot. Worked pretty good - I just find those types of fertilizer hard to use unless you are re-potting.

IPA

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I put some fertilizer like osmocote on the bottom of the pan, around 1/4 cup. Dump the litter in, put the tuber in the litter, with the growing point facing into the center of the pot. lower slowly so it gets wet. Some dust will float out, but it disappears and is good for your pond.

Make sure the litter is pure clay no additives. I get mine at Walmart or tractor supply

I have 2 small lilies, started them in kitty litter in a lily basket in the pond; nothing. Moved them to oil pans, not in the pond mind you, nothing except breeding all species of mosquitoes. Read this, moved them once again into small pots, (to fit in fountain) added the fertilizer, and put them in my lily fountain and they have taken off! Once the new pond finishes the fishless cycle I will move them into lily pots in the new pond. I am so happy, now they are growing after several weeks of doing nothing.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mine take time to get going when I groom them back. They are looking pretty poor right now.

Ask a Question