Waterlily breaking pot?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
The waterlily that was potted and given to me by a friend is tearing through it's pot. I noticed yesterday, when I went to lower it to the bottom of my pond. The pot she used seems to be made from some sort of firm fabric like material (kind of like those recycled shopping bags) It's shaped like a regular flower pot only not as deep. Only about 8'' diameter. I was reading on here about replanting, but I am not sure what to do with it. I don't want to shock it by repotting it so soon. Does it matter? Was planning to take the advice here and get an oil pan with clay cat litter (I am assuming non-scented, non-clumping) Also thinking of picking up one of those lilys from Menards that you just drop and grow. Wondering if I should repot it before adding it to the pond. I can tell there is soil in the bag, seems loose and I definitely don't need anything turning my water any more brown at this point.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The kitty litter i use is sold by walmart, red bag cheap, just pure clay.

The lily if it was in her pond, if it is growing well right now you might want to wait to repot it. Also if she had it in her pond, I don't think the soil will start to come out in yours unless the tears are large. If you repot it try to cut the fabric pot, gently take it out, check for any old dead roots, trim them, stick it in kitty litter. It might slow down, but most likely will do fine.

I have never bought the drop and grow, if in a small pot you might want to repot before it starts to grow. Or just let it grow and at end of season give it a new pot.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
There is about a 2" tear at the top that 3-4 pad stems are pushing through. So would it just be better to wait for both until fall? They're hardy so about what time would I do it then since they'll be staying in the po d for winter?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
There is about a 2" tear at the top that 3-4 pad stems are pushing through. So would it just be better to wait for both until fall? They're hardy so about what time would I do it then since they'll be staying in the po d for winter?

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Don't be afraid to repot. I just got four lily's about two weeks ago from Magoo. I repotted them all and all four are taking off like crazy. One hardy I got from him had been in the crowded pot he had for quite a while and had 6-10 leaves on it, Right now since I repotted it has 16 leaves and a bud coming up.
I started mixing 50% red bag kitty litter/50% soft sand and added 1/2 cup osmocote pellets to each pot. I tried this in containers by them selves first to see how it would work, Looked pretty good so I added a few of my mollies in one pot and a few rosy barbs in another, one for mosquito control two to see if this would have any effects on the fish. again all looks good so far. I have not put these in my main pond, still expermenting but I really don't think your going to shock the lily that much by giving it room to grow and good growing media. On the drop bag, Don't use it, It will breakdown and the water will get browner. My advice, get it out and plant it shallow for now, once you start getting good leaves to the surface then start moving it deeper until you get the crown of the plant down to about 12"-16" and leaves still reach the surface.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I use osmocote with my lotus fishin, in that 300 gallons are some goldies and rosey reds, they have not been affected at all.

I put the osmocote under the kitty litter clay when I pot the lilies, they have done great, those are in my main pond, no issues with the fish at all, they are still spawning, making babies.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Addy in your 300 gallon with the lotus, does the water turn green at all? I was kind of worried about that with the osmocote being a slow release if it would feed the algae. So far no issues here but still kind of early to know for sure. I just read about doing that this year on one of the lily sites and decided to give it a try. So far I'm happy with the results I'm seeing as well.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Addy in your 300 gallon with the lotus, does the water turn green at all? I was kind of worried about that with the osmocote being a slow release if it would feed the algae. So far no issues here but still kind of early to know for sure. I just read about doing that this year on one of the lily sites and decided to give it a try. So far I'm happy with the results I'm seeing as well.

No the water is clear, maybe a tiny murky, have some tads and rosy fry in it now. There should be some goldfish, but with the lotus pots in there don't see them unless they feel like showing themselves.

I have not seen any algae in the pond, I think those lotus are food suckers, they do not leave any for the algae.

I have 10-11 oil pans of lilies in the big pond, not real sure, all with osmocote, I don't have any algae issues in the big pond either

Reaction score
I use Osmocote too. Just make sure it's at the bottom of a pan with no holes or in a ball in the center surrounded by media in a pot with holes. That way it will leach less. But it does wonders and lasts most of the season.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I use Osmocote too. Just make sure it's at the bottom of a pan with no holes or in a ball in the center surrounded by media in a pot with holes. That way it will leach less. But it does wonders and lasts most of the season.

Yep I put it in the lily pans at the beginning of the season, just poured it into the oil pan, threw in the clay then the plant. The lilies are happy.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
When you guys are using these oil pans do you plan on replanting every Spring? And if not are you going to put more Osmocote down in the litter somehow? I don't have mine in the oil pans but plan on it next Spring. Was thinking of using the Osmocote the first time and then see how they do w/o anything and then also put some in pond just weighted down w/ rocks to see how they do w/ no fert at all and compare the results.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I will be doing a repot jw, they are growing like weeds, then most likely be posting free lilies just pay postage..........lol

They right now feel like they have filled the pans, so most likely will do better with a repot. Now remember I have never had lilies before so going by the seat of my pants..............

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Would like to do that w/ mine as they are all one color and would love to have different colors. When the time comes to re-pot next Spring I will post mine for free.........keep a one or two and then find different colors. Wow there is going to be a lot of lilies being posted here if all ours do really well and keep multiplying. Same w/ all the other plants too. Fun, fun, fun :LOL:

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Would like to do that w/ mine as they are all one color and would love to have different colors. When the time comes to re-pot next Spring I will post mine for free.........keep a one or two and then find different colors. Wow there is going to be a lot of lilies being posted here if all ours do really well and keep multiplying. Same w/ all the other plants too. Fun, fun, fun :LOL:

Well you can see the colors I have, pink, hot pink, white, yellow, orange and pink. Just let me know what you would like jw, unless of course they decide not to make baby tubers...........sort of unlikely.

DSC01901.JPG

DSC02088.JPG

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Very nice of you to offer addy. Hot pink is all that I have and if you get babies that are hardy I would love to have one of each of the other colors. I'm sticking w/ only hardy ones...........too lazy to bring them in the garage for winter or lower them down into pond bottom. The ones I have now just sit on my plant shelf and never need to be moved except when they get too big. This is what I have now:

Attachments

• IMG_1812.JPG
    IMG_1812.JPG
    58.4 KB · Views: 276

Ask a Question