Waterproofing a Natural Swimming Pond

Reaction score
I am about to build a new NSP (with no prior experience) approximately 30'x35'. I have built the exterior wall by grouting 8" masonry blocks. I have 2 panting/regeneration zone, that are about 3' deep and 1 swimming area which goes from inches to 5' deep. I am thinking to build the separation wall (4 inches below water level) from same grouted masonry, just in case if I need to drain the swimming area without killing the plants, I could.

I think having the vertical walls and separation walls would make it difficult to use a liner. Also I have 4 penetration to suck the water from bottom of the regeneration area which does not go well with liner. So I am looking for other [inexpensive & environmental friendly] alternative to waterproof the ground and the walls. BTW, I hope to have fish, so need to be safe.

The ground is very hard and full of cliche. I appreciate all recommendation.

Attachments

• 102_6921.JPG
    102_6921.JPG
    86.1 KB · Views: 541
  • 102_6925.JPG
    102_6925.JPG
    76.9 KB · Views: 535
  • pond rend 1.jpg
    pond rend 1.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 499

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
interesting concept never saw one done like that before .So you are going to swim with the fish or are the fish going to be contained in there own area .How will you filter it .What ever you use to waterproof it will have to be fish safe

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Got to love that cliche! So the regeneration area will be similar to my bog, it will be what cleans the pool water. The water will flow from the top of the pool over the walls go down into the gravel? to be drawn back into the pool. You could use a liner, even with the draw pipes you can put them through a liner. I would not use epdm since it gets so slippery, not good for a pool.

If you want fish, plaster won't work. There is sealant that can be sprayed on it, but it is not cheap.

Reaction score
That's quite the gorgeous NSP that you're building. You can drape a liner over the walls, and otherwise you will have to epoxy the wall. Never mind fish safe, but concrete blocks will affect the pH of the water and throw off the chemistry. And Addy1 is right about EPDM. I swam yesterday for the first time in my NSP that was filled with Georgian Bay water yesterday (32000 imp gals), swimming works great but walking on the liner is impossible. Anyway, A NSP should be self contained, not in contact with groundwater or surface water runoff, so you're going to need a liner regardless.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If they pick up the ppl from bend tarp and liner it is not slick at all. I can walk into my pond with no worry of slipping. With a pool I would go with the ppl36 get the tough stuff, that is what I used on this pond.
They will make it to what ever size you want.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
That doesn't mean anything I can't change the date on my camera .I'm a camera dummy ,I had mine on the 11 /20/ 2001 then got it to 2006 and then went back to 2001 again and now I think I'm up to 2003 at least I am younger in 2003 than now .Take that any day .If I could just do that in real life WOW

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That doesn't mean anything I can't change the date on my camera .I'm a camera dummy ,I had mine on the 11 /20/ 2001 then got it to 2006 and then went back to 2001 again and now I think I'm up to 2003 at least I am younger in 2003 than now .Take that any day .If I could just do that in real life WOW
easy way to change your age sissy, just change the date on the camera , take a picture of yourself, now you a new age!

Reaction score
Yes, I forgot to set the date after I charged the battery.

I just learned how to place a bottom drain into the liner http://www.koiclay.com/diy/pg4.htm Now what do I do for the separating walls. Originally I was thinking of masonry walls so the areas are independently could be drained.

Lastly, the retaining wall is 8" wide with crowned top, how would you think I can finish the liner. I was hoping not to raise the wall much more.
thank you all

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Those little tiles on a sheet for bathrooms etc would look really neat and follow the crown, but would be costly. They would need to be grouted or something done with the gaps.

What look are you thinking of?

Reaction score
I was looking for simple look. But I am not clear how the liner stays over the top of the wall unless I put heavy rocks on the top of the wall which adds to the height of the wall. Is there a way to affix the liner to the wall?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
There are some sealants that will attach the liner to items, I have not tried liner to concrete. Used pl polyurethane to attach some rocks, pl black roofing sealant that works. You may have to experiment. on the other side not the pool side is the liner going all the way down or just stop? You could also use concrete anchors with washers, stainless.

Reaction score
I am still researching as which way is the best way to waterproof. 1) spent $2k+ on Liner ppl36 as recommended above, but I have to fight with all my corners, vertical retaining walls, separating walls and finishing the liner over the retaining walls which means I have to go down all the way and veneering it. 2) build concrete floor and use waterproofing such as thoroseal, drylock, Krystol, xypex, ... which I manufacturers promise it would work, but I am not sure if will for my specific situation (masonry walls and concrete floor) 3) Shotcrete the whole thing and use regular pebble (tec) in the swimming area and thoroseal or others in the planting areas to waterproof. This may end up expensive route, I am waiting for a bid from a contractor. I wish I could do the concrete ground myself since it is sitting on a very compacted ground and use a trusted sealer and may be could tile the swimming area. And of course I hope for a fish safe surrounding, just in case this thing actually works.

If anyone with concrete pond has had good or bad experiences, I love to hear.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The main thing I have heard is you need to make sure you cure the concrete. I don't recall all the steps, but it involves washing with acid to leach out the lime, ow it will drive your pond ph crazy.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
look at first pond build by superdaft he talks about a rendering product used for waterproofing basements thats fish safe ask him

Ask a Question