Watter lilly fertilize

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
Canada
I have a top pond that has 10"-12" of pea gravel below 28" of water. I have this setup like a bog filter so the water enters in below the gravel. My hope is that the water lily will grow well. I started this last July and the lily's did ok but no flower, only fake ones. I was wondering if I should fertilize them this spring with tomato spikes or should they get enough nutrition from the heavy fish load . I move about 1000-1200 gph into this pond. I also have a regular bog between the 2 ponds.

IMG_0689.JPGIMG_0701.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
Canada
This is what is below the gravel in the top pond.
I could not get the photo to load in the above post

IMG_0562.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Lilies, in my experience, always need additional fertilizer. They like lots of fertilizer. Some years I've used a slow release type that I can do just once when I re-pot them in the spring. If I use the tomato or aquatic spikes, I find they need feeding every two or three weeks to keep blooming.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I agree, lilies need additional fertilizer. I keep mine in pots.....mostly oil pans from Walmart. I put in some clay kitty litter, then about 1/4 cup of Osamacote, mix it up a little, add the lily , then top off with more clay kitty litter. I learned this from @addy1 , who has beautiful lilies.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I agree, lilies need additional fertilizer. I keep mine in pots.....mostly oil pans from Walmart. I put in some clay kitty litter, then about 1/4 cup of Osamacote, mix it up a little, add the lily , then top off with more clay kitty litter. I learned this from @addy1 , who has beautiful lilies.
Usually doing that I don't need to feed the entire summer. My lilies get 1/4 cup tossed in the bottom of the pan under the litter and plant, unless I am doing all new clay, which does not happen very often now.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Usually doing that I don't need to feed the entire summer. My lilies get 1/4 cup tossed in the bottom of the pan under the litter and plant, unless I am doing all new clay, which does not happen very often now.
I did all new litter this year.....what a mess to remove all the old litter and my lilies were in grown into the deer fencing.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
what a mess to remove all the old litter
One reason I quit removing all. When the lilies get over grown, I do yank the older dead tubers, put the younger better ones in the pot, sort of shove down among all the roots of the plant. Now if the pot is full of roots. I take a sharp knife, cut off xxx amount add litter, fertilize and done. I used to use a hose to rinse off all the old litter, add new litter than figured out the plants don't really care. They grow well no matter what I do.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Lilies, in my experience, always need additional fertilizer. They like lots of fertilizer. Some years I've used a slow release type that I can do just once when I re-pot them in the spring. If I use the tomato or aquatic spikes, I find they need feeding every two or three weeks to keep blooming.
What time in the spring do you repot?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Can I ask what kind of clay litter you guys use? So....no soil at all?

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Plain clay cat litter. Make sure there are no additives! Walmart carries large bags and most dollar stores have it. No soil. Getting ready to add pond tab fertilizer to mine this week. Already have buds- 3 month earlier than usual.

Ask a Question