Ways to increase the sound and flow appearance

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm trying to get my river to have the most sound as possible and right now it's not as loud as I'd hoped it would be. I also want it to appear as it has a good flow and in most areas it doesn't look like there is much action and the water looks still until it reaches one of the mini falls.

The water level in each well is about 18-24"deep. I'm thinking that if the water wasn't as deep, the water would appear to babble off the rocks and make some noise.

Any suggestions or ideas? I've attached pictures of how the flow starts down the waterfall as well as the length of the river.

Attachments

• IMG_1095.JPG
    IMG_1095.JPG
    367 KB · Views: 182
  • Picture1.jpg
    Picture1.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 210
Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm trying to get my river to have the most sound as possible and right now it's not as loud as I'd hoped it would be. I also want it to appear as it has a good flow and in most areas it doesn't look like there is much action and the water looks still until it reaches one of the mini falls.

The water level in each well is about 18-24"deep. I'm thinking that if the water wasn't as deep, the water would appear to babble off the rocks and make some noise.

Any suggestions or ideas? I've attached pictures of how the flow starts down the waterfall as well as the length of the river.
Not much elevation drop

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Whats the gph of your set up

Reaction score
Country
United States
how deep below the surface is your gravel rock and small boulders?
The way I got my stream which isn’t that long.to look like it had more flow. Was to have my water just deep enough to barely cover the gravel. If I raise my water level just a little bit. it makes the stream look like it’s not moving. It flows smooth. With almost no movement.
if you cant lower the water level.
you could add more rock or bigger rock that breaches the water surface. The more things that you have braking the water surface or just ever slightly below the surface in the stream. Will make break points, turbulence and rapids. The lower the water level in a river/stream the rougher the rapids.
Deeper water can wash out turbulent areas. But will flow faster. Shallower water will mover slower, but tends to be more turbulent. which makes it look like there is more water movement. Not to be confused with water flow.
The deeper water will move faster but it’s smoother. making it appear to have less movement

Last edited:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I tossed rocks into my stream to make more noise, but over the years pulled a lot out. With our steep hill the stream is on, the rocks tended to get washed into a pile and cause water to be directed out of the stream bed.

Reaction score
Country
United States
how deep below the surface is your gravel rock and small boulders?
The way I got my stream which isn’t that long.to look like it had more flow. Was to have my water just deep enough to barely cover the gravel. If I raise my water level just a little bit. it makes the stream look like it’s not moving. It flows smooth. With almost no movement.
if you cant lower the water level.
you could add more rock or bigger rock that breaches the water surface. The more things that you have braking the water surface or just ever slightly below the surface in the stream. Will make break points, turbulence and rapids. The lower the water level in a river/stream the rougher the rapids.
Deeper water can wash out turbulent areas. But will flow faster. Shallower water will mover slower, but tends to be more turbulent. which makes it look like there is more water movement. Not to be confused with water flow.
The deeper water will move faster but it’s smoother. making it appear to have less movement
Yeah that’s what I was thinking as well. The rocks that I have are probably 6” below the water surface. Since I believe the water level is too deep with rocks below the surface, I was thinking of taking everything out and laying down a couple rows of concrete blocks and then placing my rocks on top of that so there would be less water and also have rocks closer to the surface. Would that work?

Attachments

• 9ABEA382-2B6A-498E-91A0-4D67CECD4B9E.jpeg
    9ABEA382-2B6A-498E-91A0-4D67CECD4B9E.jpeg
    48.4 KB · Views: 94
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
The only concern I would have with that plan is debris is going to get caught in and around those blocks and cause a cleaning problem for you in the future. Any obstructions in the stream will obviously catch debris, but stacked obstructions will not only trap it, they may hide it.

I'd suggest you use some small boulders that you can strategically place in your stream - big enough that they will be above water. I don't know that it will change the sound much, but anything that interrupts the flow will change the appearance. Or try some pieces of driftwood - one end out of the water, the other end in. Two boulders placed across from each other will "pinch" the water flow and make it look like it's moving faster by forcing the water between the two rocks. Remember the old "water takes the path of least resistance" and think of ways that you can create resistance.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Pea gravel. Works great. If you can get it from a stone yard it’s only about $50-60 for a cubic yard.
And acts as substrate for beneficial bacteria. Plus if the pea gravel is deep enough. You should be able to partially Bury the bigger rocks to lock them in place
like I said my stream is not that big.
you can see how much more water movement there is in the beginning of my stream. where it’s very very shallow. then towards the end of the stream it’s just a little tiny bit deeper and I’m only talking maybe a half inch, and the water is almost completely smooth.
The video don’t really show the water movement to good cause of reflection. But in person you can really see it.
The stream itself is about 10-12 feet long

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
@knicks1met appears to have a lot more depth than you do @Joejoe80 . Your stream looks great, but pea gravel that's too deep can lead to some serious build up of debris. Also, faster moving water will just push pea gravel right down the stream. My waterfall pushes even golf ball sized rocks around.

Reaction score
Country
United States
@knicks1met appears to have a lot more depth than you do @Joejoe80 . Your stream looks great, but pea gravel that's too deep can lead to some serious build up of debris. Also, faster moving water will just push pea gravel right down the stream. My waterfall pushes even golf ball sized rocks around.
Right. That’s why I was thinking of the solid blocks to raise the level. I don’t think debris would get stuck because I would position them tight to each other and then place rocks on top of the bottom layer of solid blocks to have them nearer the surface of the water. Do you guys think that would help my situation?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Don’t have to use pea gravel. Just a suggestion. I would go to a local rock/stone quarry. There’s all kinds of natural material you can get. Go direct to a place that supply’s landscapers. They are usually open to the public. It’s much cheaper then a home and garden store.
5 ton of 10-15 inch Delaware river rock cost my $400 and some change. It was $100 a ton. I bought 5 at once so they gave me a break.
They do have other size stone you can buy in bulk buy the yard. From 3/4 stone up to 2-3 inch stone.
Golf ball size stone would be like 3/4-1 inch stone. 2-3 inch or bigger something like this perhaps? 10-15 inch river stone $100 a yard. Or even something like blue stone
B93D2295-3225-46FE-95A0-8EF718E9086F.jpeg

Attachments

• 48FC0F16-C6CF-448B-BFC1-63896F48A29C.jpeg
    48FC0F16-C6CF-448B-BFC1-63896F48A29C.jpeg
    97 KB · Views: 121
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Do you guys think that would help my situation?

I think all you can do is try. Breaking the surface of the water is the goal - if a raised block works, then it might be a solution. My only thought is the flow of water may be able to push a rock off the top of the block, depending on the size of the rock. But it's an easy thing to try and then abandon if it doesn't work, right? Just be careful with the blocks as the edges can be sharp. You don't want to drop or slide them on the liner.

Will you be able to see it in the water - probably. Will that bother you? That's up to you!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
One thing I haven't heard mentioned -- how about some strategically-used waterfall foam to keep some of the water moving the way you want? Maybe in places between larger rocks, you could foam around the bottom and sides. It would keep the water going up and over, rather than rushing under. Just an idea. I don't know if it would help. Your pond and stream are really nice looking!

Ask a Question