We are now in Mexico, home

Reaction score
Pulled into Paamul after dark last night. Picked up a hitchhikker named Ricardo outside of El Zapata and he rode with us for hundreds of miles. He helped unload everything and works like crazy. Tomorrow he will start clearing the jungle back behind our palapa. We had a good night listening to the Wee Haas chirp on our grass roof, it makes you smile every time you hear it.

Had a close encounter with bandidos about 20 miles south of Villa Hermosa, just across the border. There was thick black smoke coming across the highway which we later realized was intentionally set. Normal instinct, towing a trailer were to slow down. Three guys came running out forcefully pointing for us to stop right there. The one in the lead was really playing chicken with my truck, almost to the center line and not stopping. I did what any rational man would do, floored it and layed on the horn.

The rest of the trip was great, can't wait to put the grill tomorrow tomorrow while Ricardo clears more room for our garden, will post before and after pictures.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yay you made it there in one piece w/ no bullet holes or bloodshed! That would be scary meeting those bandidos like that. Who knows what they would do to you. Glad you didn't stop!
Nice picking up a guy like that who wants to work for you and right away. Esther asked me on facebook if you were going to have internet down there. Think she thinks you are living in the jungles like the books you write w/ nothing but a spear and loin cloths,lol!
Must feel like you are in a dream living down there in all that beauty and sounds of all the critters at night. Wee Haas must be some kind of a bug eh?
Can't wait to hear more and see your pictures.

Reaction score
We are at my friends house now using his internet. Wee Hass are geckos, they make a cool chirping noise and eat the bugs. Suppers ready! Bye!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Will you be getting internet where you are going to be living? Oh ok gecko's, neat and didn't know lizard type creatures could even make noise. Enjoy your supper and your chirping geckos :razz:

Reaction score
I didn't know geckos chirped :surprised:

Sounds like your experience was really scarey. I haven't been in Mexico in years - is that behaviour typical now?

Reaction score
Carolyn22 said:
I didn't know geckos chirped :surprised:

Sounds like your experience was really scarey. I haven't been in Mexico in years - is that behaviour typical now?
Only near the border, once you get 200 miles behind you and the border, everyone is as nice and honest as can be. I had a toll road worker chase me to give me my change, they talk so fast you can't make out the numbers. And in every ville, huge speed bumps called topes cross the freeway, if you don't come to a complete stop, they will launch your vehicle. At every tope stand men, women and children selling fresh oranges, sliced mangos, pineapples and food you have never seen. I handed a young boy 20 pesos for a big bag of oranges and he gave me back 10. They are so poor, yet so honest. Right now, 12.3 pesos make one U.S. dollar I didn't look at a topographical map and old dumb me, never considered we would be driving through mountains. The roads are near vertical and twisty as a hairpin. Stop signs are a suggestion, red lights are a hint and no passing signs are blatantly ignored. After a few days, you no longer even bat an eye at double decker busses passing you on a hill really close to the top. The roads go from great to horrible in the blink of an eye and you get used to driving in the oncoming traffic lane to avoid huge pot holes. The freeway will go through very narrow streets with cars parked on both sides as it goes through a town. I'll put up pictures later, we will have internet today in our palapa.

Reaction score
We also have a huge iguana living in the hollow bricks that surround our palapa, can't wait until our 4 pound Yorkie sees it. :razz:

Reaction score
Our first stop was in Tampico, we slept in the trailer at a Pemex and listened to loud Mexican music all night, a lot of Pemex stations are the only hangout for the local young people, prostitutes and guys looking for something to do. We were looking at the map and reading the Guide to Mexican camping..................
http://www.rollinghomes.com/mexico book.htm

This book is invaluable as it tells exact miles, where to turn, etc, but be advised, the Tampico bypass is wrong, or not clear. A truck pulled up next to us and it sounded so good to hear English, no one at the border crossing speaks English. He was a missionary, he spoke to us for a while, then left after saying, "You certainly have nerve."

He came right back and asked if we had a bible. We did, so he told us to read Psalms 91, the entire chapter and told us that God would send angels to watch over us, we read it every morning before leaving. Here is where it went bad, there is a fork at this Pemex and we followed the sign to Tampico. At kilometer 15, there was supposed to be a turn marked by a large fishing boat on the side of the road, there was nothing. We continued on and wound up in town, very narrow streets with cars parked on both sides and nowhere to turn my rig around. We found a street and asked a truck driver where the highway was.

Be advised, everyone we showed a map to looked at it like it came from outer space, they don't read and most never get more than 30 miles from home. He pointed and off we went to find another Pemex. I pulled in and went to ask another trucker, he spoke English! He told me where the boat was and offered to lead us even though it was 2 hours out of his way and extra fuel. I told him no, we would make it. I walked back and my wife was afraid so I went back and offered him money, which he refused and insisted on leading us.

Thats when I looked at his rig, his name was painted on the door, "Fernandez", to say I was stunned is to put it mildly. I took out my license and showed him we had the same last name. God indeed sent us an angel because the Tampico bypass is a chamber of horrors. Terrible roads, a lot of turns and horrible traffic. I will never forget Joel Fernandez, we gave him a large cross that was hanging inside of our truck and went on to our next challenge, the Veracruz bypass.

Reaction score
Yes, good luck and Godspeed getting home.

For some reason Tampico is ringing a bell, but not sure why. I know we were down through Calexico on business. As I stated - this was a good amount of years ago.

I remember the hotel we stayed in was quite nice, however, the town outside of the hotel was not nice. The abject poverty really was a statement outside of this nice lush hotel.

I had heard from my cousin, who lives down around Mount Pleasant, Texas that crossing the boarder is quite dangerous. I recall she was dating a gentleman who lived in Mexico, but could not or would not cross the boarder to meet his family.

Best wishes and prayers in getting home safely.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yes your are brave and what an adventure and its all just beginning! Your journey up through the high narrow mountains w/ buses and cars passing all around you made me think of that tv show Ice Road Truckers/Deadliest Roads when they were in India. Way SCARY!!!
You had ANGELS definitely protecting you Bullfrog and may they continue to protect you down there! I had to go look up Psalm 91 and I found this version on video:

Reaction score
Here is our friend Ricardo getting ready to clear the jungle back for our garden and pond...

paamultrip072_zps141796f9.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Your welcome and you must have Ricardo as a character in your next book if you write another one..............he's cute..............oops don't know if I should be saying that or not but he is :razz:

Ask a Question