We have an 80,000 gallon Koi pond. It has never been filtered and the water is green.

LHB

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7-B
Country
United States
I have a mud bottom natural pond about 28,000 gallons and a big fountain. Will a bog help clear my muddy green water? I have 7- 2ft. koi and about 30 4-6in koi. I feed them 1/2 cup per day. Where can I find instructions for building a bog?

Ad

Advertisements

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Start here and it would probably help

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I have a mud bottom natural pond about 28,000 gallons and a big fountain. Will a bog help clear my muddy green water? I have 7- 2ft. koi and about 30 4-6in koi. I feed them 1/2 cup per day. Where can I find instructions for building a bog?
Addy1 is the queen of bogs! She is the one that inspired me and many others. She has an extensive thread on the process. I just can't seem to find it. Maybe someone can help find it and post the link here.

Here's the bog I recently added to my pond:

Reactions: LHB

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Oh goodness, I know a lot about backyard pond bogs but nothing about “natural bogs.” In general, yes, a bog will help with water quality, but the kind of bogs we have are self-contained and plumbed as part of a lined pond. Any time you add plants, it’s a good thing.

I’ll let someone else chime in on this one. Also, this is an old post, so I’m going to see if the moderators can start you off in a new topic. Your chances of being seen by more people tends to get lost in these older posts.

Ad

Advertisements

LHB

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7-B
Country
United States
Oh goodness, I know a lot about backyard pond bogs but nothing about “natural bogs.” In general, yes, a bog will help with water quality, but the kind of bogs we have are self-contained and plumbed as part of a lined pond. Any time you add plants, it’s a good thing.

I’ll let someone else chime in on this one. Also, this is an old post, so I’m going to see if the moderators can start you off in a new topic. Your chances of being seen by more people tends to get lost in these older posts.
Thank you for your help. I didn't intend to be a pond person but I couldn't stand to see the fish get thrown away and AA county made me dig the hole anyway. Everyone is just amazed that I do nothing for water quality except aerate and the fish are quite healthy anyway.
KOI3.jpeg

Ad

Advertisements

Ask a Question